Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Starcraft 2 discussion.  (Read 7849 times)

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Starcraft 2 discussion.
« on: May 25, 2007, 02:08:59 PM »
Has anyone else seen the video from blizzard? 

You can get the movies here:

http://www.starcraft2.com/movies.xml#m3

One thing I don't like about the direction they are going is the amount of hitpoints units seem to have.  I think with Starcraft, they met just the right balance of twitch gameplay with strategy.  The pace was very fast and furious. 

I noticed how long it took to take out marines and zerglings in the demos.  It just didn't seem to have the same feel to me.  They are going for hard counters for all units, which seems to be the RTS craze these days.  X unit can tear up Y, but gets beaten by Z.  But Y can kick Z's ass.  I promote the use of unit variety over same-unit masses, but there's also a fine line that can be crossed where everyone ends up using the same mix of XYZ units which is no better.  But hopefully Blizzard's testing will refine that.

It's interesting that there is a terain "jumping" aspect, which is a mechanic that is in C&C3 (not sure if previous games had this).  Sucks for turtlers, but it does add some stealthy strategy.

I'm a terran fan myself, so the movie was a bit disappointing since it focused mostly on the Protoss and how they have a way with dealing with everything.  That mothership is insane.  I imagine anyone who builds a battlecruiser fleet only to have them blackholed by this thing will be throwing their computers off their balconies.  Glad to see the siege tank is still there though.  It was definitely a favorite.

Is anyone else a fan of Starcraft?  What was your favorite race/unit?

Tina

• Forbidden Fruit
Re: Starcraft 2 discussion.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 09:00:50 PM »
I love the Starcraft.  I hope Starcraft 2 would be just as fun or better.  From the demo it looks like they try to preserve, improve on the original units and also add new units.  I like that; so it won't be like playing a complete different game.  My favirot units are the medic and tank.  I only saw the tanks in the demo; they are pretty cool.  The only thing I don't like from the demo is they are making protoss too powerful.  I never like protoss >:(
I am sure we will get the game when it comes out. 

Katieeeee

• Tangy Fruit
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 02:00:10 AM »
as long as I can still swarm with zerglings and hydralisks, I think I will be fine.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 04:07:18 PM »
It has been announced that the regular PC version will be $60 and the CE will be $100.   :-\

This in addition to the fact that they plan to milk the game through three separate iterations.

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 05:40:45 PM »
I just accept the fact that $60 is how much games cost will cost.  $50 was arbitrary to begin with, though it was pretty awesome.  The whole deal where it will be three separate campaigns irks me, but if it turns out the Terran campaign is robust enough to hold its own as a single player title I'll eat those words.  Either way, this is number one on my list.

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 07:41:36 PM »
We've all spent $60 on a game that was just so-so and kept us entertained for maybe 3 days. Then we've paid $40 for games that we have loved and played continuously for months or years. With that, price is really a minor consideration. If we paid based on the amount of enjoyment we've gotten out of each game, then I'd owe Blizzard a fortune for Warcraft 2 and Starcraft. If SC2 turns out to be awesome and has as much lasting fun as those other classics, then I'll gladly pay what they charge. $60 x 3 I guess....

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 11:19:53 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noNVx-NAOl8

This appears to be the new SC2 commercial.

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 11:04:22 AM »
The Blizzard Store must be being bombarded right now (game went on sale for digital download three minutes ago), because each step of the process errors out about five times before it works.  Good thing I all ready preloaded it, so I only have to deal with this asspain.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 10:40:10 AM »
We'll be picking this up in about a month.  Won't have access to our computers until then.  Very excited.

I'd love to hear your impressions.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 02:27:44 PM »
There is a fairly entertaining "entrance exam" on the Starcraft website.  Answer a series of questions to determine your role.  I got "Ghost".

http://us.starcraft2.com/dominion/entrance-exam-qna.xml

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 03:19:48 PM »
That was fun. I got "Ghost" also. Anybody else?

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 08:22:58 PM »
Viking pilot.

So far Starcraft 2 is living up to my very high expectations.  I haven't played online yet but the campaign is brilliant and chock full of variety.  Seemingly every map has a special gimmick or objective making each mission very unique.  More later... tired.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 04:46:49 PM »
Just bought a copy for me and Tina.  Gamestop currently has a 15% off 2 games deal.  Coupon code is on the front page.  Also stacks with SAVER for free shipping.  Got each for $51 + tax.

Won't be able to play for a couple weeks but it will be soon enough.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 01:24:04 PM »
Had a few hours to play this finally.  Preliminary thoughts:

The campaign is pretty good.  The story is meh, but the design, presentation, and mission variety are great.

I'm not all that sure about the multiplayer.  They took out a lot of the cool units and features that add a lot to the campaign.  I also don't like how hard the counters are.  It could be because we always play against the computer on the fastest setting, but it seems micro is almost impossible with all that goes on in every sortie.

The multiplayer interface is a convoluted mess.  Wish they stuck with the old style.

Enterprise © Bloc