Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Starcraft 2 discussion.  (Read 7542 times)

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
Re: Starcraft 2 discussion.
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 11:06:12 PM »
I wouldn't worry a lot about micro yet, Mark.  80% of the game is still macro.  Anyway, if you want to add me to your Battle.net friends list, just look up travis.morse@gmail.com.  I like pretty much every mode so anything you're up to I'll likely up for as well.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 12:23:12 PM »
Cool, I will add you.

Mine is *my first name* @coopgamer.com.  Don't really want to type out my email addy for all the farmbots out there.

Dave, if you want to PM me your bnet email I'll add you too.  And anyone else that wants to play with us.

Tina

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 12:38:59 AM »
We've been playing SC2 for a few weeks now and I am getting use to playing co-op with Mark.  It is fun, but there are a few units I just miss.  Medic, is the big one.  I don't mind the medicav, but by the time I make a starport and make the medivac it's kinda late into the game.  And not to mention medic is just cuter.  I also miss firebat.  I just love to hear them say "fire it up"  I also miss goliath.  But they replace that with Thor, and it's not too bad.  Though I wonder why they gave Thor Arnold's accent.  Overall it's still fun to play, but I would love it if they give us back those old units.

Tina 

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 10:59:41 AM »
Maybe if you shell out another $59 in a few months, you get to play with all the old units.   :o

I'm still waiting to get this game. Haven't beaten DQ9 yet, and I don't like to have two games on the table at the same time. DQ9 does take forever...which is a good thing.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 11:59:03 AM »
Maybe if you shell out another $59 in a few months, you get to play with all the old units.   :o

It's likely, considering all of those old units are present in the campaign - complete with 3D model, portrait, voices, sound effects, and abilities.  Yet they are stripped away from multiplayer.   :-\

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 01:30:40 PM »
There are a lot of units in the campaign that aren't in the rest of the game.  They said like a year ago that this was intentional.  They started with all the original units from the first game and then decided which were going to be replaced by new units.  They wanted to maintain the same number of combat units as the original (which I think is 12), since any more than that becomes difficult to balance.   But then they kept them in the game so that players could use them for mods... not mentioning that they also might show up in the campaign which was a very cool surprise.  There are other units in the campaign you don't see in multiplayer, like the Zerg lurker and Protoss scout.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:35:46 PM by Jude »

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 10:25:20 AM »
I saw you on last night, but you were in the middle of a custom map so I didn't want to bug you.

Tina and I always do comp stomps.  We've graduated to "hard" difficulty opponents and it gets pretty hairy but we generally win.  Not sure how this will play out in a 3 vs 3.  The comp always uses perfect teamwork and beating back two even from a dug in position can be difficult unless it's a smaller map where mobile reinforcements can assist quickly.  Bunkers are nowhere near as defensively effective as they were before.

I'm also going back into the campaign to attempt to win all of the "hard" achievements.  Quite a pain, but still fun.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 03:40:39 PM »
OK, "very hard" is borderline ridiculous.  On "hard" I'd say we average a 90% victory margin.  On "very hard" it's like 10%.  The comp is just too darned efficient at everything.

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 04:56:11 PM »
If you want to cheese the AI, just cannon rush them.  It works no matter the difficulty.

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 10:48:49 PM »
I'm going to get this game eventually. But first I still have DQ9 and Dragonage to beat. So basically by the time I start playing SC2, they'll probably have released both expansion packs...

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 04:18:21 PM »
Played a few games with Jude over the weekend.  He's a beast.  Good times.

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 05:51:18 PM »
Well, we did get curb stomped by the AI at one point... I didn't think they were smart enough to break open ramps.  We both aimed for early tech and got overrun--haha.

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 09:56:28 PM »
This is what Nexus Wars is like, Mark.  This game was kind of abnormal, since our opponents stacked a single lane.  It made it interesting, and also very long.  Anyway, the replay was located in Libraries/Documents/Starcraft II/Accounts/somerandomnumbers/Multiplayer.  I think Libraries/Documents is the equivalent of My Documents in WinXP.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 03:00:42 PM »
I was able to watch it. 

I have two questions:

1)  Why was one canon able to cock block the lower lane so bad?  I assume there was some production sacrifice to put up such a powerful defense early.

2)  What was it that eventually turned the tide of the battle?  For like 2/3 of the match they were at your doorstep.  It seems like the collossus and brood lords are overpowered and spamming them overwhelmed the top lane.

My computer nearly choked those last few minutes.

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 04:46:11 PM »
I was able to watch it.  

I have two questions:

1)  Why was one canon able to cock block the lower lane so bad?  I assume there was some production sacrifice to put up such a powerful defense early.

2)  What was it that eventually turned the tide of the battle?  For like 2/3 of the match they were at your doorstep.  It seems like the collossus and brood lords are overpowered and spamming them overwhelmed the top lane.

My computer nearly choked those last few minutes.

One cannon was able to cock block the lower lane so badly because the two people on my team's bottom were terrible.  As soon as they recognized they were cannoning in, they should've built immortals, colossi, tanks, ultralisks... basically, anything that can tank a cannon.

What turned around the fight was that they spammed a lot of lower tier ground units, which colossi and broodlords eat for dinner.  The idea was to build units with a range much larger than the cannons, so that our cannons could tank while our long ranged units in the back continued to build up... once we broke the gate open, the floodgate was unstoppable.  Thors are the same way, but take up a lot of room, so they can clog the back end... the usefulness of that is if enough thors are backed up, an enemy nuke can't hit them all, which is why I started building some of those when it looked like we would push back.  I wanted to ensure we had a mass of units that couldn't be nuked in the event they had one left.  We would've won earlier if bottom was smarter... if they got cannon busters like immortals/colossi earlier.  They got colossi eventually, but then dragged their feet on getting the range upgrade to outrange cannons, so they couldn't serve their purpose.

Edit:  Another thing that could've been done by either team is to build more corruptors.  They're an anti-air unit so they can devastate colossi, brood lords, and void rays... but more importantly, they have a skill that disables buildings for a few seconds, including cannons.  If the cannon can't shoot, it goes down quickly as the units build up.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 04:59:50 PM by Jude »

Enterprise © Bloc