Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Starcraft 2 discussion.  (Read 7674 times)

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Re: Starcraft 2 discussion.
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 10:15:19 AM »
I am currently trying for all of the "Outmatched" achievements.  Basically, it's you solo against multiple comps.  I've got everything down except 1 vs 4 very hard and 1 vs 2 insane.  For the vs 4, It appears cannon cheez used to work before the last patch, but has since been fixed.  They will worker rush you if you get anywhere near their base.  If you build outside, you won't be able to creep cannon fast enough to kill more than two.  Jude, have you tried this post patch?

My current strategy is to liftoff as Terran and inhabit an island.  There is only one 8-player map where this is possible - the lava one.  It was going well.  They would rally along the ridge, so I was able to pound a good deal of their ground with siege.  However, since they controlled every resource outside of my little island, it took well over an hour before I could start to starve them.  But then they started playing very conservatively and staying out of siege range.  Any attempt to land a ground force was met with disaster.  They would locate and swarm me within seconds.  My last option was to pick them apart with BCs, mostly with hit and run Yamato cannons, but on one fateful attempt, I was intercepted by templars and feedback and storm pretty much ruined me.  Not being able to save hurts. 

I'm rethinking my strategy.  I could try for seal in, but I really don't think any amount of ground choke defense can repel four very hards for long.  I'm thinking I might try against zerg to see if they have a weaker defense against some of my tactics, but I fear fungal growth will be my bane. 

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2010, 05:36:06 AM »
I haven't tried the new patch at all, actually.  Well, I did the campaign a bit just to unlock a portrait but nothing online.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2010, 09:29:30 AM »
I completed those last two yesterday.

I did vs 2 insane comp first.  It was actually pretty easy, but I exploited.  Early pylon, forge, 2 cannons at bottom of their ramp.  Then what I did was put a pylon closer to their base where they scout.  They probe rushed me, I ran back to my cannon setup, took out 75% of their probes.  Then proceeded to creep cannon up the ramp.  Took less than 10 minutes.  GG.

Vs 4 very hard comp was arduous.  I forgot the name of the map, but of course it is 8 player.  Each player is on an individual raised plateau with natural expansions on both sides.  I used terran vs 4 zerg.  I walled in with SDs, and proceeded to build 5 bunkers at the entrance and fully upgraded them.  Then mass siege.  Not forgetting to put AA around my perimeter for drops.  By the time I ran out of resources, I had around 16 siege tanks.  Even with all that D, they nearly broke down my defenses a couple of times with mass zerglings and banelings.  Anyway, I was able to cover both perimeter expansions with siege as well.  So basically, I waited them out and starved them.  Once they were starved, I had extra resources to fund my army to mop up.  Took about an hour and a half.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 12:14:44 PM by Mark »

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 03:01:26 PM »
Played a 2v2 coop game of Starjewelled with Jude last night.  It was pretty nuts.  The way the game is setup it is best 3 of 5.  Personally I think it should be 2 of 3, but whatever.  I think the biggest challenge is communication without the use of some sort of Ventrillo or something.  Typing in what we are planning to do is so time consuming that you lose a lot of valuable "gem" time.  And you really do need communication because the comp is ridiculously efficient at gemming as well as countering everything you build.

It got pretty intense as we were tied 2-2 with the comp.  In the final match, the comp made it all the way to our main base before we slowly pushed back and eventually came up with the win.  Brilliant game.  There is so much to plan and do.  Even without the spells, the game is solid - but with, it adds a whole new dimension to the strategy.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 12:21:55 AM »
Not sure if any of you play this game at all, but Tina and I still play it fairly regularly.  I sometimes like to watch replays of major matchups.  Here is the best one I've seen in a while:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1VXb_DoHfc

Haine

• Ripened Fruit
  • 70% Fiction
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 05:13:19 AM »
Every so often I'll relog in and do another campaign achievement.

I've not really done much of the multiplayer but I love the look of this map: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwD3muDefmY
You make your choices and you live with them and in the end you are those choices.

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2013, 09:53:39 AM »
I haven't played at all in a long time, but I'll get involved again when Heart of the Swarm comes out.

Enterprise © Bloc