Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Coop Battle: Capcom Classics Collection v2 VS Sega Genesis Collection  (Read 7193 times)

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com

It's a battle of the compilations!  Which one of these offers a better retro coop experience?

Capcom Classics Collection Volume 2 (PS2)

1941 - Classic vertical scrolling shooter.
Avengers - Top-down perspective brawler.  It's kind of bad.
Block Block - Arkanoid-style paddle game.  It's GREAT except that without a paddle controller you'll have a horrofic time conrolling it.
Captain Commando - Fairly cookie cutter side-scrolling beat 'em up.
Eco Fighters - Surprisingly good side-scrolling shooter with a green theme and excellent controls for the fun and unique weapons system.
King of Dragons - Excellent side-scrolling beat 'em up with a medieval theme.  As far as these types of games go, this one has probably the strongest gameplay on this compilation.
Knights of the Round - Another side scrolling beat 'em up with the obvious Round Table medieval theme.  This one gets boring pretty fast though.
Last Duel - Vertical shooter with a lot of unique gameplay elements that make it fall flat on its face.
Magic Sword - Side-scrolling action game with a medieval theme.  Not bad, but gets old fast.
Mega Twins - Really odd side-scrolling adventure game with kiddie graphics.  The gameplay is pretty weak and borders on frustrating most of the time.  Also, I would rather have killer bees sting my ears from the inside than hear the sound effect when you are low on health.
Quiz and Dragons - A quirky little trivia game that is at least good for some laughs.
Side Arms - Classic side-scrolling shooter where you control robots.  Two players can combine robots into one to kick extra ass.
Three Wonders - This game is a 3 in 1 that has a puzzle game, a shooter game, and a side-scrolling adventure game.  Strange, ugly characters but the games are not too bad.
Varth - Basic vertical shooter.

Sega Genesis Collection (PS2)

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Great in single player, but falls flat in coop since Tails is always left behind like a gimp.
Altered Beast - Classic side-scrolling action game that's easy to pick up and run through.
Bonanza Bros. - Cheezy action game of cops and robbers.
Columns - Classic puzzle game, but the coop mode just has you take turns between every block drop.  Not really coop.
Gain Ground - Interesting action-shooter game that really needs an update.
Golden Axe - The great arcade classic.  Side scrolling beat 'em up that is the best coop game on the disc.
Golden Axe 2 - This sequel brings more of the same, but with lesser quality.
Golden Axe 3 - This one didn't even make it to the US on the Genesis.  Yet another legacy stomped into the ground (it's terrible).

Just from numbers alone, Capcom wins out with 14 vs 8 coop games.  Actually, it's 14 vs 7 because Columns isn't real coop.  Sure, the majority of the Capcom games are beat 'em up clones, but that was a huge source of coop fun back in the day.

Most of the coop games on both compilations are not worth more than about 15 minutes of your time (each) just to relive the nostalgia and realize how far gaming has come.  But there are definitely more coop games on the Capcom disc that are worth playing through than the Sega one.  It baffles me why none of the Streets of Rage games were represented on the Sega Genesis Collection.  Maybe they are saving it for something else.

Capcom Classics Collection Volume 2 wins this coop match by a landslide.  However, if you're also looking for some classic single-player gaming you'll definitely want to consider both.  Heck, the fact that the Sega Genesis Collection includes Phantasy Stars 2-4 is worth the price of admission alone if you are a fan.

Also note that because these games are emulated, some of the sounds are weird and/or missing.  It's not very common and won't be readily obvious to people other than those who've played the originals to death (such as myself).  On the plus side, there are a lot of bonus items (artwork, trivia, etc) thrown in that make these packages quite solid.  Each of these games can be found for less than $20.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 05:04:00 PM by Mark »

Guild Navigator

• Forbidden Fruit
They did release streets of rage 2 for download on psn and live. Maybe that's the reason none of them were included. I'm still waiting for the arcade version of Golden Axe 3 to make it to a compilation. This and Alien Storm.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
You are talking about "Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder" I believe.  Man, I've always wanted to play that game but never had the chance to.  The one time I found an arcade that had it, it was always surrounded by people playing it and I could do nothing but watch in envy. 

One thing that paints my mind is the centaur that looked like she came straight out of the jousting event of American Gladiators.

I love Alien Storm too.  I can't help but laugh my ass off every time I play that game.  It's just so absurd that it ends up working.

Guild Navigator

• Forbidden Fruit
I always played the Gilius Thunderhead riding master blaster style so the centaur didn't bother me too much. I have the game emulated on my Xbox but there's some weird pallet issues with it. The game is mostly intact though.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 11:32:22 PM by Guild Navigator »

Enterprise © Bloc