Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Review: The Incredibles - Rise of the Underminer (PS2)  (Read 3208 times)

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Review: The Incredibles - Rise of the Underminer (PS2)
« on: July 29, 2008, 04:42:12 PM »

So we're at Hollywood Video/Gamecrazy looking to pick out a rental for the month.  There were a couple of things I was looking for and unfortunately they were checked out.  I asked Tina to go ahead and pick something out.  A couple minutes later she hands me a copy of Rise of the Underminer for PS2.  I really try to shy away from the movie-licensed games (Fantastic 4 still haunts me), but the look in her eyes brought me to my knees and after checking to make sure it had coop, we brought it up to the front to take home.

You and one friend basically control Mr. Incredible and Frozone.  You cannot control the other characters from the Incredibles.  This actually works very much to gameplay strengths, but make note so that there are no false expectations.

Mr. Incredible is pretty much brute strength - punch and throw things.  Frozone is a little more subtle and can freeze enemies to render them helpless as well as surf on ice to ram opponents.  Both play pretty well and movement is very fluid.  There are also "super" moves that clear the screen of enemies.  They each also have situational moves that help with progress such as Frozone making bridges of ice.  Yes, you've seen this all before in X-men, but it's not a big deal.

You gain levels through experience and the upgrade process is very straightforward.  There are no weapon/armor itemizations to worry about.

For the most part, the game is very child friendly.  You run your characters around and button mashing is generally good enough to get you through most of the fodder (although you do need some basic timing skills for a few platform jumping scenes and such).  Teamwork helps a great deal, especially when medium to heavy opponents take the scene.  Having Frozone freeze an enemy for Mr. Incredible to punch is a winning combination in most of the tougher situations (in single player, you control both).

Having a partner die will start a respawn timer.  If you both die, you restart at the last checkpoint.  Aside from a few platforming "instant death" areas, dying isn't much of an issue.

Strengths:

Graphics, sound, and overall presentation are good, especially for a licensed game.  Extra points for strong voice work and mostly non-irritating dialogue.
Gameplay is nothing new or spectacular, but it works and it's easy to pick up and play.
Very consistent, no game-breaking flaws.

Weaknesses:

Some enemies get really tedious to fight against.
Game is short and has little replay value.
A couple minor instances of mixed-bag difficulty.

Summary:

The game is very straightforward and you could basically run through the whole thing in one day if desired.  If you are a fan of The Incredibles or have a child that is, this would be a good choice for a fun jaunt using teamwork and strategy to beat the game together.  Adults may find that it gets old fairly fast, but it's not a bad play through once. 

It's somewhat short and lacks variety, so for us it worked perfectly as a rental.  I can't really say it warrants much more than that.  However, it definitely excels past your traditional licensed garbage fare and I felt the developers actually put little bit of heart into it.

The game makes good use of coop and I give it a 6.75 on the coop scale and a 5.75 on the single-player scale. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 05:05:59 PM by Mark »

Alchemeron

• Fruit-tastic
  • The Sophist
Re: Review: The Incredibles - Rise of the Underminer (PS2)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 05:28:03 PM »
There should be more co-op superhero games.  Actually, there should be more co-op games and there should be more superhero games.

Too bad most of them suck.

That X-Men Legends game was co-op, and I had some fun, but at the same time there was a certain pointlessness to it.

The last two great superhero games were Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and Spider-Man 2 (adapted from the movie).  Mark, if you never have, check out those two games.

I have high hopes for the new Spider-Man: Web of Shadows game. (then again, I had high hopes for Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Man 3)
Mostly Harmless

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 01:22:30 PM »
Those are great selections, Alch.  I have Spider-Man 2, but never really played through it because I sold my Xbox right around when I got it.  I'll see if it is backwards compatible with the 360.

Hulk looked good, but never managed to snag that one.  For the most part, I don't really bother with single-player games unless it is something truly exceptional.  But I'll keep an eye out for it now that you've blessed it.

We played both X-men games and liked them, but can't say we loved them.  They were just a bit too chaotic and mashy, we felt.

Haven't played Marvel Ultimate Alliance yet, surprisingly.  Going to pick that one up cheap probably.  I hear the sequel comes out soon.

Alchemeron

• Fruit-tastic
  • The Sophist
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 01:34:48 PM »
Both Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and Spider-Man 2 are backwards compatible on the Xbox.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 01:37:41 PM by Alchemeron »
Mostly Harmless

Guild Navigator

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 09:52:51 AM »
I think some of my best 2D animations were in the GBA version of this game.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 04:58:48 PM »
Guild, do you have some samples of your work you could post?  Or would that be a violation of THQ terms of employment and force them to make you a eunuch?

Guild Navigator

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 12:11:09 PM »
Unfortunately they've been taken off our servers and I was too stupid to think to save my own backups at the time. only way to see them now is in the game.

Enterprise © Bloc