Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Review: Lego Batman (PS3)  (Read 1943 times)

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Review: Lego Batman (PS3)
« on: October 30, 2008, 01:13:16 PM »

Our rental for the month of October gives us control of the caped crusader and his fruity little sidekick.

Yes, it's another "Lego" game, so if you've played any of the Star Wars games or the Indiana Jones game, you know exactly what to expect.  It's the same formula and same ingredients with a different layer of icing.

The good:

The characters are great and have nice variety.  Of course Batman looks perfect and Robin is made into a cheese bagger, but the villains really stick out as interesting and unique.  To top it off, they all have individual skills, attacks, walking styles, grabbing styles, etc.  You'll find at least one or two that really grow on you.  Personally, I love Harley for her hammer grab attack plus her superior jumping skills.

The coop in this game is executed much better than any previous game.  There are fewer frustration areas and no areas where your partner dying ends it for both of you.

Much more vehicle usage which is great fun.  Also, plenty of vehicles for both players (sadly, no 2-person vehicles).

There are also vehicle-only stages that play like overhead shooters.  They are pretty fun and do a great job of giving you a break from the standard action.

Nice story mode length with a good variety of puzzles and bosses.  Good replay value as well.

It's still fun as heck breaking everything in sight.

Attacks have a good "oomph" to them, often sending enemies flying across the screen before they burst into pieces.

The music is pretty good and uses the original Batman movie scores well.

The bad:

This Lego game still suffers from most of the same problems the others have:
- Bad camera angles in coop.
- Poor sense of depth for platforming.
- Death spawn traps where you will be incapable of completing a level without restarting (rare, but they are there, which means poor play testing).
- Some really poorly designed puzzles that annoy rather than challenge.
- Single player AI can be frustrating for certain puzzles.

Also note that this game is local coop only.  Personally, I think games like this are best played in the company of a friend right on the couch with you, but I know there are lots of folks out there that don't have that luxury.

If you've played the other Lego games, you'll definitely feel like "been there, done that."

Conclusion:

Tina and I enjoyed playing through Lego Batman more than any of the other Lego games.  The pacing is pretty good.  The length is perfect.  And the game overall is just a good time.  They've done a good job at chipping away at the more annoying elements that plagued previous Lego games, although still several issues remain.

On the single player scale, I give Lego Batman a 7.75.  On the coop scale, I give it an 8.5.  It's a thoroughly enjoyable play through and even after renting and completing it, I would not be averse to picking this game up to own once it drops in price a bit.

If you liked any of the previous Lego games, you would do well to check it out.  Even better if you are a fan of the bat.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 01:15:26 PM by Mark »

Alchemeron

• Fruit-tastic
  • The Sophist
Re: Review: Lego Batman (PS3)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 03:20:17 PM »
It makes me wonder what Lego games will come out next.  Lego Star Wars seemed inspired, Lego Indy was pushing it, and Lego Batman seems a bit too far, thematically.

You've played all of them, right?  If you could only play one, which is the best Lego game?
Mostly Harmless

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 04:23:15 PM »
We enjoyed Batman the most.  Although, we didn't completely finish Indiana Jones because it kept freezing on us at the end (we were about 85% done though).

If you have a friend to play it with, you'd do well to at least give it a rent for a couple nights.  There are some pretty good times to be had, especially once you start using the villains.

Tina

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 01:38:02 PM »
Yeah, I agree with Mark that Lego Batman is the best one out of the lego games.  I like the fact that you can have Batman or Robin chaning into different suite (with different ablities) and figure out what do with it.  It's not a game I would buy, but it's a great rental.  I had fun.

Tina

« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 01:40:11 PM by Tina »

Enterprise © Bloc