Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Review: Wii Music (Wii)  (Read 1548 times)

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Review: Wii Music (Wii)
« on: January 13, 2009, 01:51:46 PM »

This game nobly tries to give the player freedom to create their own music, but ultimately it is a failed and underdeveloped attempt.

The problem is that timing has been removed from the gameplay equation.  More importantly, it hasn't been replaced with anything compelling.  It would have been fine if this was like a "free mode" or something to accompany a main game, but this IS the main game (jam session).

You pick a song.  You pick an instrument (there are lots of instruments until you realize that there are only 4 unique ways to play any of them).  Then you just do whatever you want.  You don't have to follow the beat at all.  This is "creativity".  Except you don't have control over what type of note plays - just when something plays from your instrument.

For example, say you chose the drums.  Drums have the snares, bass, hi-hats, etc.  You can't choose when it actually uses the bass.  It sort of does that for you at its own discretion.

Aside from that, there are a few side games you can play.  You can lead an orchestra (which actually ends up being pretty boring).  You can ring the bells to select songs - which for us was the most fun (unsurprisingly, this mode is the one place where you actually use timing to play your instrument).  And finally there is pitch perfect which is sort of like a quiz game with musical challenges.  It's moderately fun for a bit.

All of those modes can be played cooperatively, which is a definite plus (pitch perfect is turn based, but still fun with others).  Unfortunately, there just isn't a whole lot there.

The game just feels like a small diversion from something else that doesn't exist.  Like an 800 point download where you expect little more than a brief, simple romp before you go back to a real game.

Conclusion:

Honestly, I'd be hard pressed to say this game is worth $20 let alone the $50 retail (robbery).

I think the core demographic for this game would have to be young children who just want to waggle the WiiMote and hear noise as a result.  Regular gamers will not have a lot to keep them interested for very long.  On the single-player scale I give this game a 6.0.  On the coop scale I give it a 6.25

Alchemeron

• Fruit-tastic
  • The Sophist
Re: Review: Wii Music (Wii)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 01:33:58 PM »
I was wondering what the heck "Wii Music" was going to be... and it seems to be just as underwhelming as I'd thought.
Mostly Harmless

Enterprise © Bloc