Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Review - Active Life: Outdoor Challenge (Wii)  (Read 1627 times)

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Review - Active Life: Outdoor Challenge (Wii)
« on: April 02, 2009, 06:12:45 PM »

This is an exercise game that utilizes a DDR-like mat (anyone remember the Power Pad for the NES?).  The mat is larger than a DDR pad and has more buttons.  It is designed to accommodate 2 people, although ironically, if you are overweight you are out of luck.

There are quite a few games and the controls vary enough to keep things interesting.  Lots of running and jumping on the mat (sometimes sitting, which is actually a lot more fun than it sounds) as well as interaction with the Wiimote.  If you play the game seriously, you will definitely get an excellent cardio workout.

The game has a friendly kiddy feel and pulls in your Miis as your in-game avatars.

The Outdoor Challenge has you play through different courses to help you learn how each game controls.  There's also Exercise Training, which times you and tracks your progress.  Then of course free mode to play whatever you want.

There is cooperative multiplayer, but there are only three games to choose from. 

The first is the mining cart ride, which is the most fun.  Unfortunately, only one person gets to do the pumping/shooting with the Wiimote.  But it is still pretty fun since you both still control the sway and jumping in the mine cart.  The biggest problem is there is only one stage.  There is no variety at all.

The second is the rock climbing event.  This one is cool because one player is pulling the other player up.  The other player is jumping up and across to different ledges.  There is a good sense of timing and teamwork and both players work together doing completely different things.  Again, one stage and no variety.

The third is just jumping rope.  You get three strikes between the both of you to see how many jumps you can make.  This got boring the first time we even tried it (although the animation when someone falls is priceless). 

The biggest problem with the coop is that these events are really fun once or twice (the first two anyway), but wear thin quick.  There are no goals or unlocks.  No different stages to try.  No progress to track.  They stripped away everything that was in the single player and just left you with 3 bare bones games.  It was a pretty underwhelming attempt and unfortunately I have to call Namco out as being another one of those companies that sees coop as a means to induce more sales, but not enough to make a serious attempt at it.

On the single player scale I give Active Life a 7.0.  If you want to get this game for coop though, I would say this is not worth the investment.  I give it a 5.0 for the severe lack of depth.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 06:19:01 PM by Mark »

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
Re: Review - Active Life: Outdoor Challenge (Wii)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 06:01:01 AM »
I'm still laughing at the cover art.

Enterprise © Bloc