Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Review - Call of Duty: World at War (Xbox360)  (Read 2125 times)

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Review - Call of Duty: World at War (Xbox360)
« on: April 30, 2009, 12:42:02 PM »

I remember reading reviews and opinions on this game and having people tell me it isn't as good as COD4: Modern Warfare.  Personally, I enjoyed Modern Warfare quite a bit.  But it was missing something important - a coop mode.

Call of Duty: World at War takes that extra step and allows you to play almost every story mode mission in coop.  Playing with a friend is tremendously fun and makes me wish even more that they included it in Modern Warfare.  This is especially true in a game where the enemy ambushes you frequently.  Your friend can watch your back and you can revive each other if one of you gets downed.

There is also a Zombie Nazi mode that holes you and up to three other friends up in an abandoned house fending off nazi zombies from different entry points.  You can nail up windows and doors to slow them down, but mostly you will be running around franticly trying to pick them off before they get too close.  It's quite fun!

There are a few issues in coop story mode that I'd like for you to be aware of:

1)  You can start from any mission, but only missions you have cleared in single player (with the exception of the start mission).  On top of this, there is no save in coop mode.  In other words, say you played through 5 missions with a friend in coop and want to quit.  But you haven't played the single player mode at all.  You will need to start over next time you play.  This sucks for people that just want to play coop (I ended up having to play the entire thing in single player so that we didn't have to leave the Xbox on overnight).

2)  There are a couple of missions in single player that are missing in coop.  Sadly, these are 2 of the best missions in the game!  One is a stealth/sniper mission and the other is a shoot 'em up mission from inside of an aircraft.  Both are really good and I was disappointed they didn't include them for us to play together.

3)  In split screen, it is very hard to distinguish friend from foe.  The limited view and the washed out coloring just make everything blend together.  It would have been nice to include the option for hostile target circles (I say "option" because obviously that detracts from the realism for hardcore players).

4)  Because Call of Duty games are driven by target points, a friend can be screwed if you go too far and leave him or her behind.  For example, there is a mission where you need to take cover from mortar fire.  I was way ahead, triggered the event, and made it to cover... but Tina was too far behind to make it to cover in time.  She got killed and what was worse, the checkpoint was right at that point too and it remembered where we both were.  So she kept getting killed over and over every time we restarted.  Finally, I was able to locate the objective and make it to the next point right before she died again and we got through it, but it was frustrating.

5)  Only one flamethrower.  This is a nitpick, but it kind of sucks that there is only one flamethrower available at any one time - so you and your partner cannot enjoy it together.  You do have the option to drop it though so your partner can share it with you.

Conclusion:

Despite these flaws, this is an excellent cooperative experience that I highly recommend for fans of first-person shooters.  It's the best FPS coop game in 2008.  Graphics, story, gameplay, audio - it's all very well done and put into a tight package.

The single player gets an 8.5.  The coop gets an 8.75.

Also, I want to commend Treyarch and Activision for including the Nazi Zombie mode for free when every other developer and publisher seem to be nickel and dimeing you for every extra under the guise of "downloadable content".  Thank you for giving a little something to the fans for a change.  We appreciate it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 12:48:24 PM by Mark »

Alchemeron

• Fruit-tastic
  • The Sophist
Re: Review - Call of Duty: World at War (Xbox360)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 12:56:05 PM »
4)  Because Call of Duty games are driven by target points, a friend can be screwed if you go too far and leave him or her behind.  For example, there is a mission where you need to take cover from mortar fire.  I was way ahead, triggered the event, and made it to cover... but Tina was too far behind to make it to cover in time.  She got killed and what was worse, the checkpoint was right at that point too and it remembered where we both were.  So she kept getting killed over and over every time we restarted.  Finally, I was able to locate the objective and make it to the next point right before she died again and we got through it, but it was frustrating.

Wow.  I enjoyed the first Call of Duty quite a bit, but the scripting was too much for me in COD2 and I stopped playing about 4/5 of the way through the game.  There was a point in the game where I was taking cover and killing foes and waiting for something to happen.  They came at me in endless droves... because the game wanted me to move about 10 feet to my left to trigger a scripted action.  I already felt like the entire thing was on rails and that moment really drove home the point that what I did in COD2 was no doubt exactly the same experience that everyone else was having.

I didn't bother with the later games but it certainly sounds like the scripting is just as bad or, because they didn't think the co-op quite through, possibly worse.
Mostly Harmless

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Re: Review - Call of Duty: World at War (Xbox360)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 09:51:17 AM »
It's definitely a double-edged sword.  On one hand, it ensures that you get to see all the cool scenes that the developer has in store for you.  On the other hand, it does make you feel like you are being led around by a leash.  It doesn't really bother me that much, except in cases like the one you mentioned where the programming is so blatantly obvious.

Nowadays they give you a compass and everything to tell you exactly where to go, which has the exact same double edge... but at least removes the frustration of trying to mind read what the developers expect you to do.

Enterprise © Bloc