Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Review - Magnetica Twist (WiiWare)  (Read 2067 times)

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Review - Magnetica Twist (WiiWare)
« on: May 15, 2009, 01:14:31 PM »

We took a 1,000 point chance on this game hoping that it would have good coop and I am pleased to say we hit the jackpot!

It's a simple puzzle game where you shoot orbs out to a moving line of colored orbs, trying to match 3 or more to eliminate them.  If the line reaches the end it is game over.

The game incorporates your Miis into the game.  You will see your character manning your cannon.

Your canon is stationary, but can be rotated to aim by twisting your wrist left or right.  It works surprisingly well, although trying to shoot in the southern area can be a pain since it is a rather uncomfortable twist.  You shoot by pressing A.  You can also lob by holding down the A button.

The game really tests your coordination and reflexes as well as challenges your mind to create combos.

But what is especially great is that this game has some really nifty coop modes.

First, you can play the main basic game coop and try to make it through 100 levels together.  It's really fun clearing boards with a friend because the way you interact makes things both easier and harder.  For example, you can work together to create good chains for each other.  But you can also accidentally mess the other person up by popping orbs right when they shoot (the whole line moves when orbs are popped).  Working together is very beneficial.

There is also a separate multiplayer mode that has another dedicated coop section!  There are three different ways to play (or play the daily mode which mixes all three up in three different random challenges). 

The first is pretty much standard, except the boards are generally more complicated because they have multiple strands that overlap each other.  You will find you and your partner are each more or less responsible for sections of strands (although you can lob if things get desperate on the other side).

The second puts you both in one canon with one person aiming and the other shooting.  This one is really tough if you don't have strong communication!

The third separates the colors that each player can use.  For example, I can only shoot green and red orbs while Tina can only shoot black and yellow orbs.  This means we have to watch each others areas to make sure that the other person doesn't get inundated with orbs s/he cannot pop.

We love playing the daily mode and it often provides a tough challenge that requires several attempts to complete.

Conclusion:

This is a really great puzzle game for $10.  Definitely worth the points for us.  I give the basic game a 7.50.  The great attention to coop really adds a lot to the game.  I give it a coop score of 8.5.  Note that you can only play locally (no online).  This game is great family fun for all ages.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 01:16:48 PM by Mark »

Tina

• Forbidden Fruit
Re: Review - Magnetica Twist (WiiWare)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 03:05:32 PM »
This game is so much fun, even my mother in law likes to play!!

Tina

Ershin

• Tangy Fruit
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 07:37:27 AM »
Interesting.  It looks like a Wii-optimized version of Zuma.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:21:08 AM »
Yep, gameplay wise it is pretty much exactly like Zuma.

I like Magnetica more, although Zuma oddly enough has better production value.

Enterprise © Bloc