Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 41898 times)

Onikazuya

• Fruit-tastic
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2009, 07:42:19 PM »
I'm still on Disc 1.  The bosses are pissing me off.  It seems like there is a substantial amount of luck involved.  I hate having to run around and fight random battles to level just so I can feel more comfortable with the bullshit involved in the boss fights.

Yeah, the boss battles are weird. Some are super easy, others are a pain in the ass.

The final boss is a joke, so easy. Don't worry about leveling up for that.

Dead Space, holy shit. The kind of game I fantasized about has become a reality. Can't wait to get deeper into it.
"The end of your life draws near, Ninja Dragon."

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 11:43:36 AM »
Yeah, the boss battles are weird. Some are super easy, others are a pain in the ass.

The final boss is a joke, so easy. Don't worry about leveling up for that.

Dead Space, holy shit. The kind of game I fantasized about has become a reality. Can't wait to get deeper into it.

What I hate about this game is that most enemies have 2 attacks.  One is like tickling you with a feather.  The other is like getting hit by a semi.  And there's a 50% chance of either.  Sometimes, you'll just have bad luck and have one person get gangbanged by a couple of the hard attacks and die instantly.  Other times it feels like you barely got scratched.  It's really irritating.

Funny thing, we just picked up Dead Space at target last weekend.  I'm going to focus on LO (just got to disc 2) for now, but I'm eager to play it.

lennaeus

• Ripened Fruit
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2009, 08:20:11 AM »
I just got The Beatles Rock Band on Saturday, wow. The dreamscapes are wild and its so fun to play because you wanna sing the songs as you're playing them, something I didnt really get from other band-rythm games.
\"I was halfway through wraping my Christmas gifts, when I realized I had the wrong paper. The paper I was using said <Happy Birthday>. So I just wrote <Jesus> on it.\"-----------Demitri Martin

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2009, 11:10:04 AM »
Nice.  I've been keeping my eye on that one for later.  Friend let me borrow Batman, so I'm enjoying that quite a bit at the moment.

Onikazuya

• Fruit-tastic
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2009, 05:59:20 PM »
Picked up Wet a couple of days ago for the 360. I preferred that system's controls over the PS3 version.

I've only played a few hours, but damn the game is fun. There are already two very memorable scenes in the game. One takes place inside a parking lot, where you're literally swarmed with enemies. There are ramps to jump off, walls to run on, cars to blow up, all in slow-mo and while performing amazing acrobatic feats.

The other is a highway chase, where there are quick time events mixed in with player control, and not just button presses. The action is as intense as the highway chase in Matrix Reloaded. It looks insane.

Very good so far...
"The end of your life draws near, Ninja Dragon."

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 01:54:32 PM »
Installing Aion at this time...  I think it's time to give the MMORPG another go after being away from WoW for a few years.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2009, 02:17:25 PM »
That reminds me.  We have just begun playing Dungeons and Dragons Online (ddo.com).  It's free to play now.  You can pay for upgrades and whatnot later, which is how they make their money.  But the basic game is free and it isn't bad.  I still like WoW better, but we've barely touched the surface so far so we will see how it goes.

If anybody wants to give it a shot and play together, let me know and I'll get down our server name and character names.

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2009, 03:13:24 PM »
Well, never mind about Aion.  I think the Base Exchange put it on the shelves a few days early.

Alchemeron

• Fruit-tastic
  • The Sophist
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2009, 12:41:24 AM »
Currently playing Batman: Arkham Asylum and replaying Force Unleashed by trading off with a friend.

Batman is... not as good as its reviews.  I'm underwhelmed.  The game rings rather hollow to me.  A lot of polish and presentation, but no depth.
Mostly Harmless

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2009, 07:45:24 PM »
Started playing Aion early this morning and pretty much wasted the entire day on it.  I'm a L14 Cleric on the Ariel server.  Game is pretty good so far, and is very similar to WoW.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2009, 10:31:59 AM »
Batman is... not as good as its reviews.  I'm underwhelmed.  The game rings rather hollow to me.  A lot of polish and presentation, but no depth.

Batman:  Extreme Air Duct Explorer is my impression so far.  I do like the combat though.  Both the melee and the stealth maiming.  Not really a fan of the detective vision.  It was irritating in Metroid Prime.  It's still irritating.  Just highlight important shit without me having to toggle a crappy visual filter.  Thanks.

Started playing Aion early this morning and pretty much wasted the entire day on it.]Started playing Aion early this morning and pretty much wasted the entire day on it.

Man, I'm not touching a pay MMO until at least after Halloween.  Nice thing about a free MMO like DDO is that I can play for like 2 hours and then let it sit for a week and not feel like I'm wasting my subscription money.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:11:18 AM by Mark »

Alchemeron

• Fruit-tastic
  • The Sophist
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2009, 10:49:47 AM »
I beat it last week, here are some more thoughts.

The story: Meh.  It's a videogame.  Not terrible, but utterly immemorable.  It's just a pretext to ferry Batman to his next location.  I've heard that comics writer Paul Dini wrote the script, but you'd never know he was anyone special.

Voice acting: Principle voice acting is great.  It's everyone from The Animated Series.  Kevin Conroy as Batman, Mark Hammil as The Joker.  Everyone else is pretty crappy, though.  The guy they got for Gordon sounds terrible.

The fighting system: A little difficult to get into.  Initially, it feels incredibly basic.  You can get by with few counters and no gadgets.  Just strike and dodge over and over.  That there's only one main attack button makes the combat feel random to a certain extent, and even now I'll still get hit by a surprise swing from an enemy.  The animations, however, are some of the best I've ever seen.  Bar none.  They're context sensitive and whichever direction someone is attacking, if you counter, Batman reacts accordingly.  He'll dodge a punch, grab a weapon, and then respond accordingly.  It's amazingly fluid.  Moreso than any other game I've ever played.  Once you learn to chain long combos, Batman becomes much more entertaining to watch and the combat stops feeling so shallow.

Art direction: The graphics are great, but I still don't like the look of Batman.  He's like a bodybuilder, wears a huge amount of gear, and somehow he fits through all the ductwork without making sound.  Bull.  Shit.  I always thought of Batman as super lean, like Bruce Lee.  This guy is enormous.  It must be rather obvious that this Bruce Wayne is more than he seems.

The location, Arkham Asylum, is a large but still confined area and Batman works really well in this setting.  I don't think GTA-style superhero sandbox gameplay (ala the Spider-Man games or Superman Returns or Crackdown or whatever) would be effective for Batman.  Sandbox cities are very popular these days, but I applaud the developer for not thinking they needed to follow suit.  The area is very open and there's a certain amount of backtracking in a Metroid kind of way, but a straight level-based approach also wouldn't have worked.  The developers certainly made a smart design choice in this regard.

As for the gameplay, the sequences where the game leaves it up to you to take out a roomful of enemies are the most engaging.  Comparing notes with a friend that has the game, it was interesting to learn that I had discovered a tactic that he hadn't even considered: after I take out an enemy, I'll spray the body with explosive foam so that when the next guy comes to investigate, it explodes stuns him.  The fact that the game allows for so many different tactics and original combinations is very pleasing.

However.  There's a little bit of a Sonic Adventure syndrome happening.  By this I mean, these sequences are great but sometimes the momentum comes to a screeching halt as your next immediate task is to find a vent and then crawl around in ducts for a few minutes.  I liken this to moments in Sonic Adventure when you're buzzing along a level at a rapid pace and then all of a sudden you have to slow down and do some kind of slow, stupid platform or puzzle sequence that sucks all the energy out of the moment.

Which brings me to... the challenge maps.  They're really just the action and stealth set pieces cut out from the story.  It's fun and convenient.  The problem, however, is that the only way to play these maps is solve and find the Riddler trophies sprinkled throughout the game, tasks which are extremely annoying and simply not fun.  Also, there aren't as many challenge maps (padded by presenting each map a second time as "extreme") as I would have liked.  The collector's edition of the game came with a challenge map set in Crime Alley (maybe we'll get that as free DLC, but I don't know) and I certainly would've liked to see some originality along those lines.  Arkham Asylum's locales tend to wear on the eyes.

The game has grown on me, mostly because of the challenge maps, since my earlier impressions.  It has it's flaws (Killercroc = Killer boredom), but it gets more right than anyone expected.  It's a solid 9 or 8.5.
Mostly Harmless

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2009, 11:27:59 AM »
Good review.  I haven't beaten it yet, but you nailed a lot of good points.  Also, something that hasn't been mentioned - the feeling of zipping around on the grapple lines.  It's amazing.  They got the speed and feel just right.  Gliding around with the cape is pretty cool too.

I actually thought they made Batman look awesome.  But I did notice the muscles were a bit on the ridiculous side.

It's probably the same with boobs on females.  They have a test panel voting on which character design they like best.  And they've got a slider that inflates the size of the muscles/boobs.  And I guess with the target demographic, the slider always gets the most votes at the "absurd" setting.

Alchemeron

• Fruit-tastic
  • The Sophist
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2009, 02:19:14 PM »
I actually thought they made Batman look awesome.  But I did notice the muscles were a bit on the ridiculous side.

He's got to weigh at least 250 lbs with all his gear.  I just can't see anyone staying silent in metal vents with that much size and weight.  It strains my credulity.  It's not just that he's large, but he has thick boots and huge gauntlets on his arms.

You know what, I'm looking at this a little rose-colored, since I started a new game with a friend of mine (we drink and trade off every major sequence or so).  The combat... with normal enemies it's fun.  But those Bane-like creatures, they pretty much suck.  Repetitive, annoying, and the back half is overrun with them.

Back to what Batman is or isn't... Batman is "the world's greatest detective".  I expected some actual puzzles in the game, but it's really just learning the right sequence to do things.  Also... Batman has x-ray and microscopic vision.  He sees through walls and skin.  There's almost no reason to turn off detective mode, except during brawls for visibility.  So I spent 90% of the game running around looking at skeletons in a blue world.

They really should have handled detective mode a bit better.  It shouldn't have been so blue (maybe keep it in a real ultraviolet range of colors) and seeing everyone as skeletons wasn't necessary.  Outlines, Left 4 Dead style, would've been just fine.

The game is a B+.  Final answer.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 02:25:45 PM by Alchemeron »
Mostly Harmless

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2009, 12:58:20 PM »
So I spent 90% of the game running around looking at skeletons in a blue world.

This is what bugged me to no end.  Detective vision was so powerful and necessary, it was just easier to play the entire game with it on.  And it's a shame because the game is gorgeous normally.  It's like I have to choose between eye candy vs playability.  Occasionally I turn detective vision off just to see what I'm missing.  And for brawls, as you mentioned.

Bought Little King's Story for Tina the other day.  It's single player, but we play it switching off.  Pretty good game.  Cutesy for sure, but fun and addictive.  It plays a lot like Pikmin, but this game has tons more personality.

Enterprise © Bloc