Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Review - Smackdown VS Raw 2010 (Xbox 360)  (Read 3200 times)

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Review - Smackdown VS Raw 2010 (Xbox 360)
« on: October 21, 2009, 11:09:46 AM »

I'm so angry at this game I barely want to review it.  But I must suffer so my fellow coop gamers don't have to.

The thing is, the core game is good.  It's better than 2009.  $60 better?  No.  But it's a pretty solid wrestling game and if you are a fan of the WWE there is plenty to like.  From the incredible graphics, to the official theme music, to the very impressive array of individual details provided to each wrestler... it's quite a solid package.  Unless you bought it for the coop, you poor fool.

I went over this in my notes in the second post.  But let me just reiterate what needs to be said.

The 2009 version started what looked to be a promising trend.  There was an actual coop storyline in the "Road to Wrestlemania", which is more or less the equivalent of a "story mode".  It's pretty bare bones as far as story, but the point is that it gives you a sense of progression and achievement.  It was pretty fun playing with a friend.  When it would let you.  The "coop" mode was littered with single player matches, free for alls, and basically lots that wasn't coop at all.

The 2010 version is even worse.  I actually wrote down the match types as we played through it.  There are around 20 matches and only around 4 of them are tag team matches with your "coop" partner.  There are a few more instances where you can both play at the same time, but they are adversarial (Battle Royal, Triple Threat, etc).  The point is, the "coop" only has you playing cooperatively about 20% of the time.  The majority of the time, one of you will be sitting on your hands doing two things:  Watching your partner get gangbanged and cursing the game for not letting you join in and help.

You can still play exhibition games with a great deal of customization (tag, tornado, elimination, etc).  But of course it just isn't the same as a progressive story.

Another thing I mentioned in the second post - you can't have coed teams.  If you play an exhibition tag-team match and one person choses a female ("Diva"), all of the sudden all males ("Superstars") are greyed out for the other player.  You can't even mix custom created m/f wrestlers.

On the single-player scale I give the game a 7.75.  There are minor improvements to the core game that make it worth a look for 2009 owners.  On the coop scale I also give it a 7.75.  I really want to penalize them for messing up coop mode so bad, but there's still the exhibition mode and it can still be pretty fun to play with a friend that way.

I hate to say it, but honestly I wish they would just scrap the coop mode if they are going to make it this depressingly flawed.

PS>  On a side note, the Santino "air trumpet" taunt is possibly the best thing I've seen in a game all year.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 04:35:16 PM by Mark »

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Re: Review - Smackdown VS Raw 2010 (Xbox 360) **In Progress**
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 11:33:22 AM »
<<These are my old notes.  You can skip this if you read the main review already.>>

We rented this game yesterday.  Last year's version included a very welcome, albeit flawed coop story mode.

By flawed, I mean completely broken.  Let me quote from my SvR 2009 review:

What's the dumbest thing to do in a coop mode?  If you said "force players to play single player matches" you'd be right!  Second dumbest is "force players to fight each other".  Guess what?  This mode makes you do both.  There will be times where one player has a match and the other player is not even in it to do anything.  There are also matches where you have to fight each other.  This is what happens when developers try to hit up a demographic they have no clue about.  I'm still happy that they at least tried and that coop is actually a blip on their radar.  But it's depressing that they didn't at least hire a consultant to clue them in on some of the basics.  You know, crazy stuff like "a coop mode should really have both people playing all the time".  Sigh.

The same holds true in this game.  I think out of around 12 matches, we've had 3 or 4 where we were actually playing as a team.  Most of them were still single player.  Even worse, some of these single player matches have one person fighting 2 or 3 other guys at the same time.  I can't tell you how fun it is to get kicked in the back every time you are half way through trying to slam someone.  And the icing on the cake is that this is the BEST situation for a friend to come out and HELP you.  I was just waiting for some pyro to go off and my guy's music starts blaring as I tromp down the runway to help.  But it never fucking happened.  I got to sit there and watch 20 minutes of 3 on 1.  Coop mode? Bullshit mode is what it is.

Another gripe.  You can't have coed teams.  Period.  They separate them between "Superstars" and "Divas".  Tina and I normally prefer our avatars to reflect real life.  Well, they screwed the pooch on that one too.  It's either all girl or all guy.

Everything else in the game is done well.  The music, the graphics (although oddly enough, the random stills they use during load times look worse than real time!), and the gameplay are improved over last years, which was already pretty decent.

But those issues irk me so badly.  Not just because they are completely retarded.  But because they could so easily be fixed/avoided by a director with half a brain.  Dude, retire or go back to making Spongebob games.  Jesus Christ how could they have this mode in there and nobody in QC brings this shit up?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:34:19 PM by Mark »

Enterprise © Bloc