Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Left 4 Dead 2 (PC) thoughts.  (Read 1451 times)

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Left 4 Dead 2 (PC) thoughts.
« on: December 04, 2009, 11:21:55 AM »
I got around to installing it on both our computers last night.

First off, I didn't know that you are forced to basically install Steam and register your games with them before you can even install/play.  This is probably old hat for most of you, but for me it was quite the wakeup call.  This basically kills any potential trading/gifting of the game.  If I had known this, I probably would have saved myself the money (from buying it x2) and gone with the Xbox 360 version again, despite the controls and split screen.  This really pisses me off.  Essentially, I don't really own the game at all - Steam owns it and gives me the "right" to play it.   ::)

Tina fell asleep, so I decided to just give the game a test run through the first section of the game solo (with CPU partners).  I do enjoy the fact that you can now equip a melee weapon (instead of a gun, not in addition to - see later post).  Melee weapons are pretty fun, although their use is pretty much limited to basic baddies.  I'm not sure how much use they will get beyond the novelty factor.  But I must say, lopping off the heads of zombies 10 at a time with an axe is rather entertaining.

The game felt pretty much exactly the same as the original.  I wasn't expecting a whole lot, especially since this game came out just a year after the first.  But I still ended up a bit disappointed.  Perhaps this will change as things progress...  I hope so.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:43:07 PM by Mark »

Alchemeron

• Fruit-tastic
  • The Sophist
Re: Left 4 Dead 2 (PC) thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 09:40:43 AM »
General consensus is that the game feels utterly like an expansion and in no way like a real sequel.  None the less, people are having fun with it.

As for Steam... Yeah, I guess the game is permanently tied to your Steam account.  Not being able to sell your used game is pretty lame, but such is the world in which we now live.  When a few retailers broke the street date for Modern Warfare 2, some people got their hands on the PC copy only to learn that (because of the online activation) it was impossible to boot the software until release day.
Mostly Harmless

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Re: Left 4 Dead 2 (PC) thoughts.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 12:57:50 PM »
Tina and I started playing the campaign together last night.  I like this game substantially more now than I did initially.  It turns out, you can equip a melee weapon in addition to a major weapon (just not handguns).

You basically get 4 slots you can scroll through with the mouse wheel to equip on demand.  First, your primary weapon (shotgun, sniper rifle, machine gun, etc).  Second, your backup limitless weapon (pistols or melee weapon).  Third, your grenade-type or special item.  Fourth, your healing item.  Your 4th slot can be used for special ammo instead (such as incendiary rounds).  Interesting tradeoff.

I do like playing this game much more on PC than on console.  Just being able to spin around faster and aim more accurately makes a big difference in a game like this where you are repeatedly getting ambushed from every direction.

Even though the CPU is very adept and helpful, it still feels quite different when other human players are controlling them instead.  I think I may actually attempt to play with others online against my better judgement.  Hopefully with a coop-centric game the douchebag population will be kept to a minimum.

Anyway, once you get the better weapons things really start to pick up.  Right now I'm wielding a semi-automatic tactical shotgun with a katana as backup.  That is good times right there.  Dare I say even though I'm still irked by the whole Steam debacle and the fact that this really should have been released as an expansion, I do not consider this purchase wasted.

Enterprise © Bloc