Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Army of Two: 40th Day (PS3) - impressions.  (Read 1523 times)

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Army of Two: 40th Day (PS3) - impressions.
« on: January 13, 2010, 06:16:57 PM »
Well this is going to be short.  Got the game on day of release.  There is a day 1 update right off the bat.  Of course, we want to update because if I'm going to review it, it should be based on the most current update.  But I don't know if it was due to EA's servers being overloaded or what, but the update would either fail at some random percentage through or it would hold at 0% as the "time left" indicator went from 1 minute to infinity. 

I know it's not our Internet or even the PS3.  I did a PS3 system update right before I tried and it worked fine.

Anyway, after a couple hours of fighting it (we'd play MW2 on the 360 while waiting for it to fail), we played a little bit with no update.  The beginning level is more or less a tutorial, but I have to say it was uninspired.  Not to mention mission objectives aren't very well laid out.  They've got this whole overlay for a GPS system that's supposed to help you figure out what to do and so far it has proven useless.  Eventually we stopped to give Grant his bath and just didn't have the heart to play further.

Will try again tonight.  I really hope things improve.  And hopefully we can update the damned thing.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Re: Army of Two: 40th Day (PS3) - impressions.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 01:57:54 PM »
Finally got it updated last night after another hour and a half of attempts (thanks, EA).

Played through the entire first mission.

First, let me say that this review is probably going to come across as harsher than it should due to the fact that we're still playing Modern Warfare 2.  I mean, the first thing we noticed is that the control scheme is so much less intuitive than MW2.  They use L1 and R1 to aim and shoot instead of L2 and R2.  Going into the options, there is no way to change this other than to reverse them for lefties.  Really?  There's a severe lack of customization for the controls.

Also, they use a face button to run as opposed to pushing in the movement stick, which I really missed.

The view feels a bit odd, but you get used to it.  By default, you are sort of looking over the right shoulder (panned out so you can see your character).  You can switch to the opposite shoulder any time.  It's a strange view, but I can't say it is bad.  The split screen is divided side by side in local coop.

Cut scenes are unskippable and load times are harsh.  This is especially noticeable when you hit a tough spot and die.  You have to sit through a long load time and any cut scene that happens to be at the start of that section.  It boggles my mind that the load times are so much longer vs MW2, which is graphically superior.

There is this really irritating section of the first level where you clear out an entire section of enemies and then you need to split up with your partner (assisted climb over a fence) to open a door for them in another area. 

Here's a great idea for a game that's supposed to focus on coop:  Let's put in areas where you will be split up from your partner unable to assist them.  Couple that with the added bonus of an instant game over if either one dies.  Awesome idea!   :-\

Even better when you put a rocket sniper on the roof that will AOE kill your partner unless you are expecting him and pick him off first with your own sniper rifle.  Did I mention that there's no save point and you have to start way back to the last unskippable cut scene?  Fun times!

Damn near gave up, but finally got through and called it a night.  I remember having more fun with the original Army of Two.  I'm still hopeful that things will get better...

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Re: Army of Two: 40th Day (PS3) - impressions.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 05:20:55 PM »
We finished the game last night.  Full review is in progress.

Enterprise © Bloc