Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: The love/hate relationship that is World of Warcraft.  (Read 7070 times)

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
The love/hate relationship that is World of Warcraft.
« on: April 06, 2010, 01:09:15 PM »
Tina and I have been playing WoW off and on since early 2005.  It seems to be a never ending cycle of getting burnt out after a couple of months, leaving for a while, missing it, and getting back in.

I really loved this game back in the early "vanilla" days.  The trek to level 60 was really an adventure full of trials and triumphs.  My wife by my side and Mickee as well through roughly most of it.  Tina, the little gnome warrior that had trouble finding the "taunt" key.  Mark, the fat dwarf priest that used the soulstone immediately in an instance not realizing the mobs would still aggro him from a mile away.  And Mickee the snyde gnome warlock that put up with our noobness with a melancholy /sigh and an inspiring /train from time to time.

Anyway, as the game grew and we grew, things changed - for the worse.  I think there's a transition point where you go from mark to smark (smart mark).  It's a term used in pro wrestling.  Like when you're still naive and really believe that the Undertaker rose from the grave and all that stuff.  Then you realize it's fake.  Then you start reading about the behind the scenes stories about the guys.  Stuff that makes them just normal (and often sad) people.  It's never the same once you cross that line.

That's what it felt like.  In vanilla there was so much content that you always had that novelty of new adventures.  And things weren't all mapped out like they are now.  You'd hit and kill things, but you wouldn't really understand the exact mechanics of it other than + bigger numbers to your stats is good.  Nowadays you've got truckloads of sites that serve as nothing more than spoilers for everything in the game.  They make leveling faster and efficient.  But they kill the adventure and instead just make it a grind.  Looking back, doing questing and leveling is what was the most fun for us.  Sure, there is the elation of a first boss kill in a raid.  I'll never forget our first downing of Ragnaros, back when it took 40 people in months of farmed FR gear.  But the fondest memories?  The small things we did while questing.  Learning fishing and downing some ale while complaining about how terrible the fishing mechanic was (still is).  Sitting around a campfire just taking in the scenery talking about random stuff like Mickee being able to see up my "dress" (they're robes damnit!).  Seeing Tina excited when she tamed her first piggy on her hunter.  Making her a mithril coif to wear (yeah, believe it - a priest with mining/blacksmithing).

Aside from that, there are some things I REALLY hate about the game now.

1)  The people.

Seriously.  I don't think I've ever had lesser faith in the human race than reading the trade channel.  And beyond that, just the general selfish, hostile, and laughably pompous behavior exhibited by the majority.  I swear if people acted this way to me in real life I'd be in jail (whole 'nother topic).

2)  Healing sucks and it has sucked since BC.  

Remember back when you actually used timing, reflexes, and active decisions based around a limited mana pool?

3)  Gear score.

Wow.  This is what it comes down to, eh?  What we really need is a douchebag score.

4)  What have I become?

I don't know, but I don't like it.  Why the hell am I still playing when it brings me so much misery?  Damn you, OCD.

Our subscription ends in 4 days.  I should have a party.  I don't plan on coming back at least until Cataclysm.  But God help me, maybe we'll be done for good this time.  Of course, there will be Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3.  From crack to meth.   :-\
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:23:44 PM by Mark »

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Re: The love/hate relationship that is World of Warcraft.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 03:32:24 PM »
On a positive note, I really REALLY like the new LFG and random dungeon system.  It's just so great that I can queue up while in the middle of questing and just pop right into an instance once the group is formed (usually really quick, especially if you are tank/heals).

It would be awesome if it eventually led to raids, although that would probably kill guilds in the long run. 

Mickerus

• Ripened Fruit
  • I feel stronger.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 07:52:24 AM »
Oh man, there were good times to be had (and maybe more frustrating times).  So many things killed the game for me at once, and I could write a damn essay about it.  But I really don't want to, so here's a (very) abbreviated laundry list:

1. No sense of wonder left -  I'm talking about the amazement you got from exploring the world, seeing awesome places, running for your life when you take a wrong turn, etc.
2. Farmers and hackers -  I remember when these jackasses didn't exist, then they became a plague on the game.  These people are the worst, making an industry out of ruining a game.  (oh ho ho, Ubisoft and EA).
3. Mangling the setting - yeah, alright, this is pretty beardy.  I honestly don't care about most of what they did, story wise, but a few things did stick in my craw, like Kael'thas going from tragic but admirable protagonist to moustache-twirling supervillain, or Illidan the Loot Pinata.  And from what I hear they did with Arthas... yeesh.
4. Dumb people.  I think that needs no explanation.
5. Raid strategies - this can be argued for and against, but I got really tired of all the bosses full of scripted gimmicks.  Yeah, it made some of the fights interesting, but it made others extremely tiresome.  Also, they tended to break or bug out on a whim, particularly after patches.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 01:55:09 PM »
You've reminded me of a couple other things.

1)  Spontaneous world PVP castrated.

Whether you like to PVP or not, it was always interesting to see people going at it for nothing more than to fuck with the other faction.  This made the opposing faction a little mysterious and created a sense of dread and hatred for your enemies.

Now we have organized, sterile PVP with rewards tacked to them (which ultimately is the problem).  You even fight your own faction the same way.

Also, (and this relates heavily to your #3) ever since BC we've been sharing the same home city, walking by each other briskly, like we are all old high school buddies.  This is such bullshit.  If we're all happy goody fighting on the same side now, why can't we group cross faction?  Because we were NEVER supposed to be friendly with each other, that's why.

2)  The gold spammer problem.

Now, you've got to first consider how much money Blizzard makes monthly on this game.  It's not like they're strapped for cash to hire people to help the game experience.

On any day on any server on any faction you will see gold spam advertising in all of the main city trade channels.  They added a report spam feature, which seems to do nothing.  How hard would it be to hire a couple guys per server just to keep an eye on things like that and insta-nuke a gold spam account?

Let's say THAT's too hard.  It would not be difficult to set up key word traps for stuff like this.  About 90% of the gold spam I see is for this place called "susanexpress".  Not really a difficult string to filter, no real fear of killing legitimate text.

Really, it's gotten so bad with trade chat, direct whispers, spam mail, everything.  Why do they not do anything about this?

Tina

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 07:52:26 AM »
All I have to say about WoW....it sabotage my plan to loss weight cuz I eat and eat when I play!!

tina

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 12:25:06 PM »
I actually really liked Burning Crusade, but I played a paladin so vanilla was a little rough for me.  Raids boiled down to using my Decursive hotkey to cleanse the group of ailments... yawn...  Anyway, I haven't played in years, though.  I dropped out right before Black Temple was launched because it was just too difficult to play with my guild when I was in England, and haven't gone back since.  I'm sure I'd still love it, but it can be really time consuming as anybody whose played an MMO knows.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 11:36:07 AM »
The only thing that bums me out about quitting is that my sister and her boyfriend started to play.  Grouping up with them, exchanging recipes, and helping each other out is pretty much the most fun I've had with the game in years.  It's especially shocking because my sister has been a staunch videogame hater since I can remember.

Tina

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 01:41:40 PM »
Now that I have a little time to think about WoW this is my list of things to say about it:

1. It was fun while it was newish...like Mark said, it was the novelty that really makes it fun, the sense of adventure, seeing new things and experience new area, new enemy with Mark and other friends are what make WoW really fun for me.  That did last about a year or so.

2. The people/ guild.  It was fun at first to meet new people, make new so call friends in WoW.  Everyone seems so nice.  And we join a small guild and it was a blast....people helping each other with quest, running 5/10 men dungeon was the most fun.  There was a group of people we know and have fun with almost everyone.  Those were the best days.  And it was such a big deal when we reach level 60!!!!!  Again, this last about a year.  The guild got bigger, the drama started, people were not having fun anymore.  And then it was all about progression of the raid....so we got out of the guild, join the next guild.  At first it was great, it was fun.  It looked like people knew what they were doing in the raid and it was fun downing the bosses.  But then the ugly drama showed her face again, who didn't get what loot, why is someone invited in the raid and others not, who can other use the toons they want.  Just dumb stupid things.  And it seems like no matter what guild you join the guild/raid leaders turn out to be psycho no matter how nice they seemed at first. 

3. And yes, the gold farmers also helped ruin the game for us.  I remember I was on my mage and someone asked for some water/food.  I gave that person some because I was naive.  Mark got mad at me for helping that person; apparently it was a very obvious gold farmer and I didnít know.  I thought why not help someone if itís not really costing me anything. 

4. The quests became all the same.  Again, at first it was fun.  But there are little variation of the quests.  It's always to get 10 of these items from pick up, or dropped by certain enemies/monsters.  Or just kill 10 of these.  Once awhile you get a bombing run or something different.  But 90% is same old same old.

These are the things the make the game less fun for me.  Itís still fun if we were able to get a good fun group of people going to a quick 45 min dungeon run.  Maybe weíll rest for 6 month to a year and see how things go.  I donít get to play much because our little baby Grant.  He is 2 years old and a hand full.  The only time I get to play is about 1-1.5 hour at night after baby Grant goes to bed, and I need to get to bed early myself, too.  We shell see, there were some good timesÖ.I hope in the future we will have playing WoW again.

Tina

Mickerus

• Ripened Fruit
  • I feel stronger.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 07:15:19 AM »
Oh yeah, another reason I'm done with World of Warcraft: microtransactions.  I thought that was ridiculous when they first announced it, then they turn around and release a $25 mount?  I'd say they have to be crazy, but the crazy people are the ones paying for it.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 10:48:52 AM »
Agreed. 

Personally, I thought it was it was ridiculous when they first announced they were charging for an "expansion".  I always thought the $15 a month was going towards development of the product and it was in their best interest to continually dole out new content to keep subscribers.  Where exactly is the line between small "free" patches and new premium "expansion" content?

I guess I can sort of see stuff like server transfer, faction change, etc garnering a fee.  But with pets and mounts they've once again blurred the line between development designed to enhance your game experience vs development to enhance their wallets.

Did you know in Cataclysm they are only letting you level to 85?  I think that was the final straw for me.  Leveling was always the most fun we had in the game.  I remember it taking months to get to 60 in vanilla.  BC and LK each took us less than 10 days to cap.

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 12:32:13 AM »
I've been away from WoW for several months now. Blizzard sent me an email for 7 free membership days. I saved it into an email folder to use it, but for all the reasons I've seen posted, I just haven't had the urge to play the game again. I definitely think that what makes it hard to stay away is that we all remember how much fun it WAS, and we hope that some of that joy will spark up again upon our return. But alas, it's never quite the same anymore, is it? Even Cataclysm didn't excite me. I've since gone back to playing console and iphone/ipad games. That and I got the DVD sets of the original Dragonball series back when Goku was just a kid, and it's got Japanese with subtitles, and the series absolutely rocks!

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 06:36:17 PM »
Er... I'm playing again.  I had to call Blizzard accounts/billing line because my account had been suspended for some reason.  They said my last log-in on that account was January 2008 and they locked it a few months later in July because it was suspected of having been hacked.  Anyway, they restored my account, and when I logged in I found my entire bank was gone.  I'm a bit miffed, but I figure things'll get replaced pretty quickly in Lich King anyway.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 09:14:57 AM »
Wow, so the hackers actually got your account info and paid subscription time on it?  Or did you still have time left when you quit?

In any case, Blizzard should be able to get your bank stuff back over the course of a week.  It's true that most of your stuff, mats especially will be obsolete, but money making, while not hard, is roughly the same as it was in BC (as opposed to the huge increase from vanilla to BC).

I'm kind of surprised you are resubbing this late into Lich King.  With Cataclysm looming, instances/raiding will probably be at an all time low.  Of course, if you're just leveling up your toons this is as good a time as any.  It's just that server activity as a whole will be pretty placid.  Heck, you may even see a Lich King kill (which we missed on our last stint) since the buff is now at a ridiculous 30% or something.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 11:04:43 AM »
Holy shit, this is uncanny.  I was just looking through my spam folder and it appears that my battle.net account was hacked this morning and my WoW account was suspended due to illegal gold activity. 

We haven't had active accounts since April...

Furthermore, they (the hackers) linked my account with an authenticator, which I assume will make it much harder to get my account back.

I tried calling support, but I just got an automated message telling me the queue was too long to put me on hold.  So I wrote in a ticket.

Crazy...

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 11:09:11 AM »
Wow that's brutal. Do you have an obvious password or are we just dealing with some sophisticated techno thieves?

Enterprise © Bloc