Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: The love/hate relationship that is World of Warcraft.  (Read 7624 times)

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Re: The love/hate relationship that is World of Warcraft.
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
Wasn't obvious at all.  Come to think of it, I use that password for a lot of other places with monetary consequences.  Better go rectify that stat.

Fortunately, it's not the same as the password for my email that the account is tied to.  That might be my saving grace.

Still, totally whack that they would hack an inactive account and pay a sub fee just to spam gold selling.

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 12:31:38 PM »
Definitely. I use 3 passwords for different security levels. My lowest level password is for stuff like WoW and other things that aren't terribly important. My 2nd level is for email and important websites. My 3rd level is for financials.

I personally think that it's weird that anybody would even want to buy game gold with real life cash. It's like trading dollar bills for Monopoly money.

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 02:03:22 PM »
I was subscribing in six month chunks back then, Mark, so I had some time left after I quit.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 11:41:38 AM »
I emailed support last week - no response yet.  I have been trying daily to get a hold of phone support but I always got a message that the queue is full and it disconnects me.

Well finally I got through, but am on hold.  The wait is estimated to be 1 hour.

While waiting, they keep advertising the Blizzard authenticator to add security to my account.  It's not all that expensive, but I got to thinking - technically Blizzard has all the power in the world to compromise my account at will if they had motivation to.  Motivation such as making money off of an authenticator.  And I would be none the wiser - we all just assume it's some Chinese gold farm cartel overseas.

I don't think that is the case here.  But that kind of conflict of interest always makes me nervous.

PS>  All my toons are now mostly naked.  Except my paladin Fruitypants, who they seem to have taken a liking to.  He's currently got all kinds of activity in the armory.  I have already contacted the guild I was in to let them know to remove me until further notice.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 09:29:05 AM »
I got my account fully restored.  Got all my items back and everything.

Here's the funny thing.  The hacker toon they made to do all the transfer activity had like 100 auctions up while I was being restored.  They wiped out his money, but when I came back to the game I had a full mailbox with over 4,000 gold in AH sales to collect.

In addition, because they attached an authenticator to my account, I got a free corehound pet on all my characters.

Plus I got to play for free for a couple weeks (would have been nearly a month if we didn't go on vacation right through it).

So thank you, hacker.  You're still a douche, but you kind of did me a favor.

PS>  I forgot to add that they made Fruitypants a Titansteel Destroyer.  This somehow got restored to me in BOE form.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 09:30:51 AM by Mark »

Haine

• Ripened Fruit
  • 70% Fiction
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 08:50:28 AM »
It seems blizzard is far more relaxed about it's restore policy these days. One of our officers got hacked they restored all his stuff twice and the GM also restored all the stuff that was nabbed from the guild bank.
You make your choices and you live with them and in the end you are those choices.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 10:45:02 AM »
I recently bought 4 prepaid 60-day timecards. 

/hangs head in shame.

I'll be waiting until Cataclysm to use them though.

Haine

• Ripened Fruit
  • 70% Fiction
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 05:39:36 PM »
The account hackers are getting more sophisitcated in their attacks. Of course since they've now gotten into your account, they've gotten some of your personal information. I've seen them use that to try and "reclaim" accounts they've already stolen after they had been fixed.

How long till a WoW account is worth more than a human life? Not long I fear, not long.
You make your choices and you live with them and in the end you are those choices.

Enterprise © Bloc