Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: The truth about Starcraft 2 and LAN play.  (Read 3228 times)

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
The truth about Starcraft 2 and LAN play.
« on: September 27, 2010, 04:46:55 PM »
If you are like me and Tina, you love playing with friends on a local area network against the computer.  LANs are super fast and efficient, allowing for the barest minimum of latency.

This is why when we heard that LAN play was being stripped from Starcraft 2, we were both angry and confused.  It's like getting on a flight from California to Oregon, but they make you stop off at New York first.  It doesn't make any sense.  Of course, we know the reason - piracy.  Not just piracy, it's about Blizzard wanting to keep you on a leash within their network.  Hey, they didn't strike a deal with Facebook for nothing.

Anyway, for every person like me who complained about the boning of LAN play, someone would chime in about how it really doesn't affect anything.  How it just handshakes and then the game plays out on your LAN so it's mostly the same.  I don't know if these people are Blizzard shills or blind, ignorant fanboys but I'm here to tell you that this is a load of crap.

The fact is, you can be sitting next to your coop partner (or adversary) on the same room on the same network and you will still rely on your internet connection, Battle.net, and their server status to play together.  

Q:  My internet is down.  But I can play on my LAN with my friend, right?

A:  No.

Q:  I have a family member that streams Netflix.  Them eating up most of the bandwidth won't affect my game on my local network, right?

A:  Your game will be choppier than the high seas.  It will be borderline unplayable.

Q:  My internet connection rocks and is 100% reliable.  I'm good, right?

A:  No connection is 100%, but even if yours is, you still have Blizzard's end to contend with.  If Battle.net goes down, you'll be greeted with the option to "surrender" and the game will pause and eventually kick you out anyway.  I speak from experience.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 05:05:24 PM by Mark »

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
Re: The truth about Starcraft 2 and LAN play.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 05:31:50 AM »
I figured it had more to do with Blizzard wanting a piece of the tournament pie.  You can't host a major tournament without  using b.net or getting Blizzard to unlock LAN play.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 10:45:35 AM »
I remember reading a developer interview where he specifically said that the mere option for LAN play opened up some channels for piracy.  But it's probably a combination of all of these factors.

Fun Fact:  Did you know that doing a multiplayer game with just you solo against the CPU still relies on your Internet connection?  In other words, low bandwidth will still affect you even if playing by yourself.

You might ask:  Why play a multiplayer game solo? 

Because several achievements require it.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 09:57:17 PM »
Just *tried* to do a 2 on 2 CPU game with Tina.  Got this message.  Thanks, Blizzard.

Enterprise © Bloc