Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Looks like we're going to be hooked back in (WoW).  (Read 5479 times)

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Looks like we're going to be hooked back in (WoW).
« on: November 18, 2010, 11:15:28 AM »
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm is coming out soon (12/7).  I have to admit, as pissed off as I've gotten with the game over the past two expansions (and some aspects of this one), I'm ready to play again.

So here's a call to arms to any of you who may have played before that might be ready to pick it up again.  Or to those that have never played and have been curious to try it out.  You are welcome to join me and Tina and we will help you as best we can. 

Horde side:  We are on Feathermoon, which is an RP  :o server.  My sister and her boyfriend are on there.  Tina and I only have 1 character each on that realm (lv 38, but climbing fast).  But if you want to play horde side with us, that is your best bet.

Alliance side:  We are on Eldre' Thalas.  This is where all of our main time had been spent - we each have 5 level 80s. 

I have some 10 day free passes if anybody wants one just try to it out.  Note that it will be a looooong download.  The game has gotten crazy large with the latest patch.

Also, this game is crack if you are undisciplined.  If you are unemployed, it will sap much of your strength to get a job.  If you are married, it can lead to divorce if she's not into it with you.  It ends up eating all of your free time if you are not careful.

Haine

• Ripened Fruit
  • 70% Fiction
Re: Looks like we're going to be hooked back in (WoW).
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 05:03:59 PM »
If you are married, it can lead to divorce if she's not into it with you.

When one of my guildies was served with divorce papers, his now ex-wife had cited WoW as one of the reasons.
You make your choices and you live with them and in the end you are those choices.

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 05:58:55 PM »
I had quit for almost three years and got lured back into WoW in August/September.  I've quit again since and hopefully for good.  The next couple of months are not appropriate for becoming hopelessly addicted to Warcraft, since I'll be super busy with work (in a good way).

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 02:23:42 PM »
I could see this game becoming doubly more addictive if they incorporated Dragon Quest 9's system for re-starting a job class but keeping some bonuses from the previous class (maybe stat bonuses or passive benefits). People would be leveling up to 80 eight times over just so that they could have every single class and the bonuses that come from each one. Then when it came to raids, they might be, "Oh, we are short one healer? OK one sec while I switch my class and gear..." I know I for one would have stayed with the game longer.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 11:43:08 AM »
Cataclysm comes out tomorrow.  Somewhat excited about it.  It looks like they are going back to their roots with the original smart healing, cc, strategic style.  This is very good for the game.

Also, my sister showed me that there is a Plants vs Zombies mini game you can play.  That rocks.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 10:03:28 AM »
I've paced myself to 1 level per day so we're at 82 now.  There are people that capped (85) the first day of release.

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 11:00:30 AM »
What are your thoughts on the game in its current state? (Wondering if I should get back on to Warcrack)

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 11:29:10 AM »

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 11:51:52 AM »
What are your thoughts on the game in its current state? (Wondering if I should get back on to Warcrack)

It's pretty good.  Better than Lich King, for certain.

Part of the reason is they are reusing the old world, which has always been the best thing about the game.  They changed a lot of things, but it's nice to be back to the original zones with some interesting tweaks.

The thing I like the most is that they are trying to bring skill back into the basic game mechanics.  Healing takes timing and skill in terms of spell choice.  Tanking requires very active threat building and damage reduction.  DPSing takes CC, interrupting, and targetting.  It's actually a bit frustrating early on (as a healer, in particular) because old habits die hard and you still have people that run into packs and just try to AOE everything down without a kill order or anything.  It takes several wipes before they start to learn.

It feels pretty short in terms of leveling.  You can easily cap in a week if you just play 3-4 hours a night.  If you are nut jobbo hardcore, you can probably cap in a single day.  Supposedly Blizzard wanted to concentrate on "end game" but that seems like quite a copout to me.

There are still lots of bugs in the game.  It's definitely playable, but there have been multiple times where we would have to do quests twice or more because one of us didn't get credit or something bugged out.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to hold off for a bit to let them iron out some of the wrinkles.  On top of that, less competition in zones would make questing a little easier if you are not particularly social.

I have come to realize that flying mounts were the worst thing ever invented for this game.  It really kills such a huge amount of the feeling of exploration and wonder.  They now allow flying everywhere in Azeroth (small fee).  While convenient, it is a completely different experience and not in a good way.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it so far.  We've been taking our time, so we are only 84, but I've enjoyed most of the zones.  There is one that is completely underwater.  Very pretty with a cool climax at the end of the story line.  It sucks at the beginning because swimming has always sucked.  But then you get a Seahorse mount and the zone becomes much more bearable.

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 06:52:04 PM »
I tried to resist but ultimately caved.  I made a goblin.  The tutorial zone for goblins is pretty awesome... it's like an episode of Jersey Shore.

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 03:32:58 AM »
Mark, who are your characters on Feathermoon?

Haine

• Ripened Fruit
  • 70% Fiction
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 01:46:57 PM »
Mark, I agree on flying mounts, they've taken away the wonder of exploration. It's almost as though the world designer's haven't caught up.

Despite being lvl 85 and ready for raiding. I haven't logged in for two weeks now. I don't miss the game but I do miss the craic with my guildies. I was a hardcore raider but I'm heading more towards a casual approach. What really excites me is logging back on and leveling a dwarf pally, not tanking on my lvl 85 bear.
You make your choices and you live with them and in the end you are those choices.

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 01:50:39 PM »
I rolled a blood elf, and then seeing that the blood elf start zone had hardly changed, went over to Tirisfal/Silverpine and have been enjoying the quests over there. I haven't even touched my lev 80 - somehow don't feel inspired too. Mostly want to check out the new stuff and go through the lev 1-60 quests. I think those parts are the most fun!

-update-

Ok, the new WoW is awesome. Again, I haven't done any of the expansion content, but I just finished the Silverpine quest line, and I love how cohesive the quests are, how each zone is its own story complete with cut scenes, and how clever the whole design is. It really leads you through a progression through the zone with surprises and plot twists. I just started the Hillsbrad quests and the first quest has you become a quest-giver, complete with a big exclamation mark floating over your head. It's hilarious. Take your horde characters (or make a new one) and go through the beginning level content. It's great stuff.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:50:43 PM by wushuwannabe »

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 12:14:40 PM »
We're off again.  Had a great time with Cataclysm, but I definitely feel like it is time to get away for a while.  The new content is quite good.  The "phasing" aspect is getting obnoxious though.

What's phasing?  Phasing is where the area you are in changes depending on what stage you are in a particular questline.

For example, you can be in a village as you go through quests A, B, and C.  But once you finish C, the village is now destroyed and you move to a new series of quests relating to that.

The problem with phasing is that it segregates you from other people not part of that phase.  You can't see people that are in a different phase as you.  You can be standing right on top of that person and not know it.  Why do this in an MMORPG, which is supposed to be all about interaction with other people?

Even if you are in the same phase as someone else, every time you enter or exit a phased area, there will be a few seconds where you each disappear from each other's world as the game decides which "phase" you are on and loads it up.  It's really annoying because it breaks the follow command and we use that all the time when moving from one zone to another.  We could be moving from one side of a single zone to another and have it break 10 times.  Would you fucking cool it with the zone phasing please Blizzard?  I know you think it's an amazing feature and all, but it's really not that great.  Save it for a couple really unique and momentous storylines and leave the rest alone.

One other irritation.  When your game time runs out (we prepay our time for exactly 60 days) it used to give you a warning like 30 minutes in advance and it would continue to warn you every 5 or so minutes until time ran out.  This way, you could at least wrap up what you are doing in case you are going to be away from the game for a while (for example, accept all your mail since it gets returned after 60 days).  They give you no warning now.  I honestly believe they took out the warning so that you would get booted unprepared and, in their minds, would prompt you to resubscribe immediately to close out all the loose ends.  Dick move, really.  In my case, I got booted from the game mid-quest doing the Plant vs Zombie mini game.  Not a big deal for me since I already took care of my business and the character I was using was max level (doesn't need "rested" XP), but that definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 10:54:40 PM »
I got to the last level of the plants v. zombie, and then couldn't beat it. I was sad, b/c I hate not being able to beat something. Anybody win all the stages?

Enterprise © Bloc