Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Coop Review - Twisted Metal (PS3)  (Read 2782 times)

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Coop Review - Twisted Metal (PS3)
« on: November 01, 2012, 01:23:04 PM »

Coop Review: Twisted Metal (PS3)

Greetings, coop players.  Eat Sleep Play brought us a pretty good Twisted Metal title this year.  Let's take a look at what it has to offer.

First of all, this game features campaign coop, so grab a buddy and an extra controller because you've got some hours to kill. 

The campaign features three separate storylines and each have several matches with cut scenes rewarded for every two or three matches completed.  The cut scenes are possibly the best I've ever seen in a game, quality wise.  As expected, they are pretty brutal and creepy.  The story is interesting enough to push you into wanting to see what happens next.  Very well done.  The only negative to this is that they nixed doing individual storylines for every character.  Quality of quantity I guess, but it sucks for those of you that don't care for any of the three characters featured (Sweet Tooth, Mr. Grimm, and Doll Face).

There are a couple major game types you'll deal with (and then the boss fights, which tend to have their own special flavor).  Mostly you'll either be doing some variation of death match (kill all opposing cars) or racing.

Standard death matches are easily the highlight of the game.  The AI is fairly smart (if not obnoxiously so at times) and there is a great deal of satisfaction gained from eliminating your target with the many different types of weapons scattered across the stage.  Later you will deal with gimmicks which prove to be mildly annoying (moving areas that you need to stay inside to avoid taking damage over time, for example) but the base gameplay is extremely solid and rewarding.

Keep in mind that if your partner dies, it's instant game over so you do need to be mindful of helping him/her stay alive by sharing healing items and watching his/her back. 

Races are pretty much aggravating tests of patience and memorization.  This might be largely due to us playing split screen, but waypoints for races were almost impossible to see in advance, so each race was more trial and error than anything.  Also, the speed of the car makes such a ridiculous difference in terms of placing that it is absolutely necessary to choose a fast car to win (you might argue that is logical, but it's such a striking imbalance, it makes you wonder why they would allow you to choose a slow car in the first place). 

Again, your partner dying means insta lose for both of you.  This can be especially irritating on the cliff race where falling does substantial damage.  Frankly, the races aren't all that fun or interesting and were definitely the low point of the game.

I'm not going to spoil the boss fights, but they are all pretty interesting (albeit also a bit on the annoying, gimmicky side). 

After we finished the game, we decided to play some coop death match together.  Except one little problem.  There isn't one!  All you can do is free for all.  Basically the #1 point of longevity of the game for us was removed.  Inconceivable!

All and all, I'm giving this game a coop score of 7/10.  It's a good game and I'd say it was worth our time to play it through.  But the lack of cooperative death match and the annoying gimmicks of the matches (and lame races) in story mode pretty much killed all hope of replay for us.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:02:45 PM by Mark »

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
Re: Coop Review - Twisted Metal (PS3)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 02:04:02 PM »
I really want this game and just haven't found the right time to get it.  My gaming backlog is absurd.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 04:09:46 PM »
I hear you on the backlog.  I still haven't even started playing Mass Effect 2 yet (I have all three).  I've also been borrowing Dragon Age 2 from my friend for about half a year without touching it yet.

By the way, I'm totally down with trading this game if you have something of relatively similar value you don't mind letting go of (Saint's Row the Third comes to mind, though I'd kind of prefer that one on Xbox).

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 01:14:06 AM »
SR3 is actually another game in my backlog, except I have the PC version so I can't trade it anyway.  I am probably willing to trade and can compile a list of options.  I assume you prefer co-op, right?

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 11:50:23 AM »
Definitely a preference for co-op games.  Though I am open to pretty much any excellent gaming experience worth having.

Enterprise © Bloc