Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Dialogue in RPGs.  (Read 1958 times)

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Dialogue in RPGs.
« on: September 10, 2012, 03:24:35 PM »
After playing through Skyrim and currently playing Kingdoms of Amalur, I have to ask this question:  Does anybody read all of the dialogue in these games?  There have got to be HUNDREDS of hours of conversation if you go through all the dialogue options for each character/NPC.  When I first started playing, I actually tried to talk to each person and go through every chat branch to see what they had to say.  But after about an hour of this, I just got fed up with the sheer volume of blabbering and started mashing the skip button even on quests. 

I guess I'm curious if this is a common thing or if I'm just an impatient jerk.  There was clearly a massive amount of time and care spent making all of these dialogue options for people to listen to.  I feel there must be people out there who really enjoy this stuff for so much effort to be spent on it.  But to me it just seems like a tremendous waste.

Haine

• Ripened Fruit
  • 70% Fiction
Re: Dialogue in RPGs.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 11:48:51 PM »
I do and I don't. If the story grips me from the beginning I'll read the text dialogue. However, sometimes it's the simplest of stories that grab me; in Ocarina of Time the 'story' between Link and Saria was great, yet there was hardly any dialogue...

That's where classic Nintendo had story telling (albeit very simple ones) down to a fine art. I think it's possible to tell more complicated stories well (such as FF7) but again the developer shouldn't take the cheap route and just write reams of text; games are meant to be interactive.
You make your choices and you live with them and in the end you are those choices.

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
Re: Dialogue in RPGs.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 09:42:26 PM »
I think of it this way - with so much dialogue and branching trees, the developers never meant for any one person to hear everything.

I took my family to watch Barnum & Bailey's Dragon show, which is A+ awesome. But there are so many different things happening all at the same time in different parts of the arena that you can't possibly see and appreciate it all. I think that is understood though, as every performer still has at least a hundred people looking at them at any given time, so it's not a wasted effort.

Enterprise © Bloc