Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: PS4  (Read 1805 times)

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
PS4
« on: February 22, 2013, 01:15:51 PM »
I watched the PS4 live stream event, and I must say I'm pretty excited for the next generation. Sony has some pretty ambitious plans, and I'm wondering if they will be able to fully deliver. I'm also very curious to see what Microsoft whips up to compete.

For me, the social networking features are not a big deal - I only use Facebook for business, not for friends. However, the new games look awesome, and I like the idea of being able to stream games to my Vita. The concept of gaming everywhere, being able to take my games on the go is appealing.

Anybody else looking forward to the PS4 for the same or different reasons?

Haine

• Ripened Fruit
  • 70% Fiction
Re: PS4
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:55:16 AM »
I was a little bit unimpressed. The 'social networking' rubbish is no longer the hot sexy stuff it once was. I don't see the PS4/Vita link up working all that well in the mass market; that's a lot of money for your average person to spend in the current economic climate. The features sound cool, but, as always, it's about the games. The only one I'm interested in is Destiny, but I'm not investing more until Bungie show their cards (and I imagine it'll be on the new XBox too).

As one of my teachers used to say: "A good start."

You make your choices and you live with them and in the end you are those choices.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 12:02:16 PM »
I haven't heard much about it yet.  What games in particular looked promising?  Any Youtube videos?

The only thing I heard is that they basically bone everyone that bought online content on the PS3 by not allowing them to transfer over.  That seems kind of shitty to me, especially when they've been desperately trying to get market share from XBL with their PS+ service.

Off topic, but how are you liking the Vita?  I find it interesting they'd go through the effort to put features in the PS4 that utilize the Vita.  I was thinking they'd be working their focus on the next portable to work with it.

Frankly, none of the next generation tech has impressed me yet or has even mildly excited me.  I don't think I'll ever have that amazing feeling as when Tina and I bought our Dreamcast together and popped in Soul Calibur.  Maybe it's an age thing.

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 08:25:59 PM »
The Sony presentation is available to stream from their website, so if you have 2 hours to kill, it's an interesting watch. Graphically and spec-wise, the system is impressive. Games in development look pretty amazing, but of course we'll need to see what happens when the system actually releases and how good the games actually are. I'm very excited for Infamous, as I loved the first two along with just about every single game Sucker Punch has made.

The fact that PS3 games won't play on the PS4 doesn't really bother me at all. SNES was not backward compatible with the NES, and N64 with SNES, and Gamecube with N64. One might say that's different because they used different storage formats and PSN is digital. However, the hardware architecture is completely different in the PS4, and the only way that games coded for PS3 can run on the PS4 is through emulation. In any case, I keep all my old consoles, so if I'm playing PS4 and suddenly have an urge to play an old-gen game, I'll just fire up the PS3.

I really love the Vita. It's too bad that it isn't selling that well because it's a great system. I have been enjoying quite a few games on it, most recently Persona 4 which is one of the most enjoyable RPGs I've played in awhile. That game has kept me up waaaay past my bedtime many nights. But Uncharted and Gravity Rush were both super enough that I got the platinum trophy on both of them. I've got Ninja Gaiden Sigma loaded on the system right now from PS+ waiting to play as well, and I'll get Assassin's Creed Liberation eventually too.

As for PS4 and Vita working together, it's pretty clear that this is something they've planned for a long time. PS4 has been in development for years, so this isn't something that they just hashed together. From the get-go, I think Vita was designed to be both a stand-alone console and a companion for the PS4.

In the end, I'm just having fun with games. It doesn't matter if it's a PS3 or a PS4 - I think graphically the current gen is pretty great already. And if next year's games are going to be on PS4 or Xbox720, then that's what I'll be getting. But I also look forward to more "wow" moments, like those times I just stopped in the middle of Skyrim to look around and marvel at the beauty of the world. I saw some screenshots of how Skyrim looks on high-end PCs with mods, and it's amazing. I'd love to have that experience on a PS4 displayed on my big screen.

Enterprise © Bloc