Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Walking Dead Thread *SPOILERS*  (Read 2106 times)

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
Walking Dead Thread *SPOILERS*
« on: April 11, 2013, 05:46:52 PM »
This thread is on the Walking Dead game. It will probably contain spoilers throughout however, so if you have not played the game you may want to turn away now. That's the reason for this separate thread - so that people who have not played the game yet can still read the rest of the forum without fear of ruining their experience with what is IMO one of the best games of this generation.

---This entry made intentionally long to prevent accidental reading of spoiler material below---

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
Re: Walking Dead Thread *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 06:11:31 PM »
Mark, I'm not sure if you've finished the entire game yet, so I'm going to just talk up to episode 2 since that's the last one you referenced.

One of mechanics which I think is so brilliant in the game is how there's a time limit to making decisions. It really keeps you in the experience. You can't just sit there and go through your moral checklist or ask somebody else what they think you should do. And so when you make a decision, often times it makes you look at yourself, for better or for worse. There have been plenty of times in which I've made a certain decision and afterward really wondered whether or not it was the right thing to do. And what's cool is that regardless of your choice, the story moves on and you just have to live with the consequence of your action. For me that made it not so "gamey". In most games I often think of game choices in terms of how they will affect whether or not I will get the "best" ending or the ability progression of my character. The result being that I'd stop to think it through, or sometimes research what is supposed to be the "right" decision.

In Walking Dead, there aren't truly any really right or wrong decisions. It all just depends on you, how you feel, what you believe to be right. And I think that is so cool.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 03:32:03 PM »
We passed episode 3 before our rental time expired (another thing to praise is the longevity of each episode - they feel just right even though they are all pretty lengthy).  Per your mention, I made it a point not to watch the previews for the following episodes - spoilers suck.

The time limit definitely adds to the tension, realism, and spontaneity factors - all of which go perfectly with the style of this game.  A couple times I was minorly frustrated with a couple of events that I didn't even realize were events until I failed them.  The example that strikes my mind first is in the drugstore when a zombie attacks Clementine and I didn't see that I was supposed to do something in time.  And after I failed to act, the game told me "Clementine will remember that you failed to save her."  I felt like a failed parent!  Despite my initial frustration, I came to terms with my failure and have since been much more vigilant and responsive in protecting her.  Though in episode 2, I did fail to reach her before she took a bite of... the meat.  Urgh.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 03:45:44 PM »
Let's talk about the decisions in Episode 1.  What we picked and why.

Choice #1:  Save Duck or save Shawn?

I chose to save Shawn (he ended up dying anyway).  I felt that in that particular situation, Shawn was in greater danger what with being pinned down and within reach of the walkers.  Duck was on top of the tractor and in no immediate danger, I felt.

But let's dig deeper into disturbing land.  If they were both equally in danger, I can't say I would have changed my decision.  Shawn had helped me earlier, so I felt some indebtedness to him.  He was also a far more useful team member to have around than Duck (seriously, Duck is useless if not a liability).  Also, I think it was pretty clear from the situation that Duck had managed to start the tractor and was the cause of the entire mess (ran over Shawn's leg by accident). 

According to TellTale games, 49% chose Duck while 47% chose Shawn.  I'm actually curious why people would choose Duck.  Because he's just a kid?  I'm a cold-hearted bastard and unless it's my kid, I'm choosing the one that gives us all the best chance to survive.  Sorry Duck!  Also, it makes me understand why Kenny does some of the batshit insane stuff that he does.  Because he's just trying to protect his family as best as he can.  Completely selfish.  And completely realistic.

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 10:36:21 PM »
There have been a number of instances in which I made a "choice" without realizing that it was a "game choice". Sometimes it's just reflexive or even by accident. I think that it's a good thing, where sometimes inaction has as much of a consequence as action, or just doing what feels like the the natural thing to you to do becomes a recorded decision in game terms.

OK, so on Choice #1: I saved Shawn. My story isn't as interesting. This was one of the situations where I didn't realize there was a choice. The urgency of the situation made me just reach out and grab whoever was closest to me, and that happened to be Shawn. I thought I'd pull Shawn out, and then grab Duck. But nope, no time.

I think I too would keep my decision the same. Not so much from a utilitarian point of view, but more from the perspective that Shawn helped me, so I'm helping me. I guess "honor debt" takes priority over "protect children" to me.

Choice #2: Duck might have been bitten. Protect him or throw him out to the zombies?

I chose to defend Duck. First, there was no proof that he was actually bitten. Innocent until proven guilty in this case. Second, even if he did turn, he's so small he would have been easy to kill if necessary. This of course got me on Larry's bad side, but oh well. Never really liked the guy anyway. 48% of people agreed with me, 52% sided with Larry though. That surprises me, as it seemed harsh to me to abandon the kid without even knowing for sure if he was truly doomed. I'm surprised more people didn't feel the same.

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 10:25:04 PM »
Choice #1: Saved Shawn.
Shawn was in imminent danger and Duck looked like he could just get off the tractor thing and leave.

Choice #2: Defended Duck.
Zombie kids aren't a threat, otherwise its an extra survivor.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 05:44:24 PM »
Finished the game last week.  What an amazing game.  I think the last time I was this moved in a game was waaaaayyy back when Porom and Palom sacrificed themselves to save Cecil and party.

3)  Save Duck or throw him out?

I sided with Kenny (48.1%).  No love for Duck, but we can't just go around sentencing members to death without facts.  Plus Larry is an asshole so that probably played a bigger part in the decision than it should have. 

4)  Save Carley or Doug?

I and 76.4% saved Carley.  I think the fact that she has a gun and can use it well was my main train of thought.  Possibly part of me was swayed by chivalry too.  Hard to say.  I felt bad for Doug though.  I liked the guy.  Seemed easy to get along with and like I could probably be friends with him in real life.

I'm actually REALLY curious how the story would have changed if I saved Doug.  Does he actually live while Carley dies and the story really changes to accommodate that?  Or is it like the Shawn choice where he dies anyway and Carley saves herself with her gun?

5)  Assist the suicide?

I chose not to give her the gun (55%).  She just seemed a little bit too crazy and I didn't want to chance arming a crazy person that could just lose their shit and kill us all.  Not that it mattered in the end.  Damn we suck at hanging on to weapons.

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 11:25:19 PM »
#4 - I saved Carley also. My main thought was that she had a gun and knew how to use it, so she was more important to save. Now that you bring it up, I do wonder how the storyline changes based on that, especially since in my play-through Carley was significant through episode 3.

#5 - I did assist the suicide and gave her the gun. I just felt that a merciful death is important to give someone when they want it and when they are just suffering. But yes, she was a bit loopy and that could have gone all wrong.

On the ending, you know I went through the last 10 minutes of the game with my mouth open and tears in my eyes. It was just so awesome. This game really made me think that this and upcoming generations of games really do have something special to offer. Yes I do miss the "good old days" where games had a unique feel and charm to them. But experiences like Walking Dead need current generation's level of processing power to run, so I'm looking forward to more like this. And for retro-games, well there's always PSN and Nintendo Virtual Console.

Enterprise © Bloc