Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Dragon's Crown  (Read 2393 times)

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Dragon's Crown
« on: July 23, 2013, 12:05:43 PM »
I think this is probably the only game I've actually gotten a little excited about in ages.  I absolutely loved the Dungeons and Dragons arcade games back in the day and in fact paid a handsome sum to acquire the Sega Saturn import collection.

This game is apparently an homage to those games, as it is developed by some of the same staff.  The graphics are absolutely stunning.  The gameplay looks a bit more mashy than skilly, but I'm willing to forgive it if the rest of the game shines through.

I'm seriously considering buying this at launch - something I almost never do.

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2i0jrlIOP0 

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
Re: Dragon's Crown
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 05:05:10 PM »
I've been looking forward to this game too. I understand it has rpg elements, questing, loot collecting and selling - all the fun stuff common in modern MMOs, except done as a 2-D side scrolling Golden Axe-like game. That has me mostly sold. IGN has been raving about it, but I'll still wait to see the reviews from a few sites before deciding.

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 06:49:44 PM »
Did you end up getting this game? It is on my list of games-to-play.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 01:06:18 PM »
I ended up missing the preorder which would have come with a sweet artbook.  Of course now I feel like I've missed out, so I'm going to wait until it goes on sale.  Still want it pretty bad, but we have such a ridiculous backlog plus we play StarCraft 2 every day so I guess I'll let patience win out for now.

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:55:57 AM »
Yeah. Give it a few months, and the price will drop about $20 on Amazon. I'm going to wait a bit.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 12:21:52 PM »
My main concern is that it is an Atlus title and they don't tend to make a gajillion copies and then discount them like the big publishers.  Their prices tend to stay the same or go up because of rarity.  I think $50 is a little high for a beat 'em up in this day and age, but I'm still a bit torn on the matter.

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 05:07:06 PM »
From what I've read, there is a good deal of value in the game. It is apparently quite long and has a lot of replayability. My feeling is that $50 is still worth it, but I would still prefer to get a nice deal on it by waiting a bit.

It WOULD suck if the price did indeed end up going north instead though.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 11:15:47 AM »
Ended up finding it from an Amazon seller for $35 and included the artbook, so I snatched it up.

We are enjoying it.  Worth the money, but the game feels a little slower and more cumbersome than it should.  I can't really put my finger on it.  Oh how I wish it played more like the old D&D games.

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 06:06:05 PM »
Cool, let me know how you like it after you've gone into it a bit more. I haven't picked it up yet.

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 01:37:57 AM »
I got it on the Vita. It's a pretty good match for the system, being portable and being able to play in little spurts here and there. It's great for instance if I'm a few minutes early picking my kids up from school, and I can sit in the car and do a quest.

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 08:36:37 PM »
Man, we haven't touched that game in ages.  And I so want to like it.  It just seems to lack that X factor that makes me want to keep playing.

Still, we will get back to it eventually.  Just so damned many games to play through, especially now that we have PS+.

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 07:17:11 PM »
I think we like the game about the same. It's a good game, but it's not great. I like it, but I don't love it.

It makes for a nice Vita game, as it's one of those that you can keep on your system and play here and there when you have time to kill and you're not at your console playing something more addictive. It's a pity they didn't make the game cross-buy so you have to repay if you want to get it on your Vita. Not likely to happen, I'm sure.

Enterprise © Bloc