Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Greetings from your friendly neighborhood Sony whore.  (Read 2025 times)

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Greetings from your friendly neighborhood Sony whore.
« on: January 17, 2014, 01:40:47 PM »
I remember back in the day when I got my beloved Sega Saturn.  The Playstation was all the hype but I just couldn't let go of the wonder years given to me by Nintendo and Sega as I grew up with the NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis.  Die Sony!  Leave this business to the people that actually make games!

Oh, how times have changed.

The past couple of years, I find that we've been playing our PS3 the most out of all the now "last gen" systems (Wii, Xbox 360, PS3).  A good reason for this is that it is in our bedroom and when we're beaten down by the kids at the end of the day, playing in bed is far more convenient than dragging our asses downstairs to play on the couch.  The reason why it ended up in our room in the first place was because I wanted a Blu-Ray player in the room.

I guess what I'm saying is that there just weren't enough compelling game differences between the PS3 and the Xbox 360 to weigh in on this decision, so it's these more minor details that gave the PS3 the crown.  Oh yeah, and the fact that I can watch Netflix on the PS3 without having to have a subscription to a secondary service like Xbox Live (serious, egregious bullshit, by the way).

Let's zip on over to today.  We got a PS4 from my sister and her boyfriend.  Normally I wouldn't even look at a new system until the first price drop and the next revision of hardware is released.  But deep down inside I experienced a fit of joy even though it's still pretty slim pickins in the games department.  But the real life changer came in the form of Playstation Plus.

What is Playstation Plus?  It's a subscription service like Xbox Live but cheaper and with more perks.  You get free games to download every month (currently playing through Bioshock Infinite) for all supported Sony systems (currently PS4, PS3, and Vita).  You know how Xbox Live has been starting to give out free games instead of just full raping you all the time?  It's their half-assed attempt to compete with just how amazing this service is. 

You download the games and they are yours to keep but only accessible while you are a subscriber (you can delete and redownload games at will as long as you downloaded it once during the free period).

Anyway, realizing that I was only capitalizing on 2/3rds of the potential of this service, I went ahead and got a Playstation Vita with the Gamestop credit that has been collecting dust in my wallet, laughing at me for years.

So yes, I went from Sony hater to Sony whore in the span of 2 decades.  And I'm really, really enjoying it.

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
Re: Greetings from your friendly neighborhood Sony whore.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 11:18:06 PM »
My PS3 has the least games of all, but I still got one for some of the exclusives I wanted after it built up its library and dropped n price.  I also got it as a bluray player, but that didn't last because I've more or less gone fully digital anyway, streaming from my PC.  I use my PS3 gamepad on my PC and tablet though, because I prefer it over the 360 gamepad for most game types (and the ones where I don't, a 360 gamepad is inferior to a mouse).  I wouldn't describe myself as a Sony fan or hater.  I think the only platform holder I have any loyalty towards is Nintendo.  I'll be skipping the PS4 most likely, sticking to the Wii U and PC, and only getting an Xbone if I can't hold out for Kinect on PC.

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 02:08:53 PM »
I think a big part of this is that in the past couple years, Sony has really changed in the way they've operated and the major decisions they've made really shows. I see a real commitment from them in developing quality products and keeping their customers happy. It is the philosophy where if you take care of the customer first, the money will come.

Microsoft has been very much the opposite IMO. I feel like corporate-wide, their strategy is always based around figuring out how to increase profitability, so their thought process becomes, "we need money, so let's do just enough to keep the customers paying for our stuff." An example is all the backlash they received regarding their draconian DRM and always online policies - they didn't change their course until they realized that their sales were in danger. They didn't choose to do the right thing FIRST. Another example is just the physical design of the XBONE. In a world of gorgeous looking iPhones, Galaxy phones, and Nest thermostats, how the hell does a company the size of Microsoft create a game console that is so damn ugly?

I am under no illusion that Sony is just being charitable. Both companies are out there to make money. But Sony's attitude toward its customers has been much more humble and appreciative, so at least in my case it has won me over as a loyal customer.

With a Vita, PS+ gives you Uncharted and Gravity Rush free, both of which I really liked. But my favorite by far is Persona 4, which I wholeheartedly recommend. I recently played through it a second time and it was fantastic. Just the fact that I would replay an 80-HOUR game speaks volumes to how much I love that game. It is one of my favorite games of all time. It isn't free on PS+, but I certainly didn't regret paying for it.

Jude

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Invincible.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 02:22:35 PM »
As bad as people think the Xbone DRM scheme was going to be, it's hard for me to forget that Sony created SecuROM, and later installed rootkits onto its customers PCs.  The latter is probably the absolute worst measure I've ever seen.

wushuwannabe

• Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 11:53:42 PM »
As bad as people think the Xbone DRM scheme was going to be, it's hard for me to forget that Sony created SecuROM, and later installed rootkits onto its customers PCs.  The latter is probably the absolute worst measure I've ever seen.

This is true, but a company is only as good as its leadership. When Howard Stringer became the CEO of Sony in 2005, he initiated changes which were quite controversial. On top of what you mentioned, almost 10,000 employees lost their jobs under his watch. At that time, PS2 was the dominant console, but in the following generation X360 began to dominate. I think Sony suffered from poor leadership at that time.

I noticed a real change once Kaz Hirai took over as CEO in 2012. That's about when PS+ started getting really cool with the free games and extra services. And then with the launch of the PS4, I think the change is even more evident. Their PR has been really awesome during this whole past year. I am hopeful that Sony will continue to be a consumer-centric company with Hirai at the helm.

On that note, with Steve Ballmer about to leave Microsoft, maybe we'll see a new and better Microsoft in the next few years? Only time will tell.

Alchemeron

• Fruit-tastic
  • The Sophist
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 05:40:21 PM »
When Arkham Origins came out, a friend of mine really wanted to play it since he was a big fan of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City (he played the both of them when we were roommates, but the Xbox was mine).  So he grabbed a used PS3.  It's a 1st gen model, heavy as fuck, with only a 20GB hard drive.  So on Saturday he brought the console over, and a drive that I recommended, and I showed him how straight-forward the swap was.  We were even able to back up all his profile info to a USB key.

After it was back up and running and he had more than 400gb to work with, we immediately queued up Bioshock Infinite and Devil May Cry, which are the current free games for PSN+ users.  We also grabbed Season 1 of the Walking Dead adventure game for $5, which is the special price for PSN+.  He had grabbed a month of it just in case we couldn't back up his GTA V save, but he didn't realize all the perks.  It's a good value.  He'll probably keep it.
Mostly Harmless

Enterprise © Bloc