Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Anime  (Read 1125 times)

Onikazuya

• Fruit-tastic
Anime
« on: July 07, 2015, 07:54:27 PM »
Hey guys, holy shit, been away from here for a while...1 or 2 years now? Fuck.

I was just thinking about this place recently, wanted to say hi, see what's up. How many of you still around? Alch still hang out here? Nice to see you keeping the place open, Mark.

Anyway...

Just wanted to know if any of you guys watch anime anymore... I swear for the longest time I've been so out of touch with anime. I watched all the classic stuff back in the day, from the late 80s to 90s. 2000 and on I kind of lost touch with it, save for major releases like Memories, Perfect Blue, GITS 2, Metropolis.

The death of video stores pretty much sealed the deal on me finding new anime, and I kinda lost interest.

Anyway forward to this year, where I hear from friends that I MUST watch attack on titan. So I watch it, and I gotta say it's pretty slick - gory, cool story, nice art and music. Some episodes are kinda boring and get too political, but it had a nice first season.

I have to say, AOT sparked my interest in anime again. So I peek around on netflix and find Sword art online. Holy shit. Had me at the first episode. The story is about a newly created VR technology that immerses your body in the game world. The first game created is the MMORPG "sword art online". Think of it as a cross between WOW and the Matrix. I'm not even into MMORPG games but I'm hooked on this one. As a gamer the story really sucked me in.

Another one I started watching on crunchyroll is Parasyte. It's a horror anime with drama and also a bit of comedy thrown in. It's about a young guy who has his arm taken over by a parasitic life form that can communicate with him. There are some pretty heart wrenching scenes later on....

Another one I'm a few episodes into now is Food wars. It's basically a comedy/drama anime about a young cook who enrolls in an elite cooking school to outdo his father, who is a master chef. It has some real laugh out loud moments and has the right amount of quirkiness for me.

So yeah...excited to be back in love with anime again. What are you guys watching, any recommends?
"The end of your life draws near, Ninja Dragon."

Alchemeron

• Fruit-tastic
  • The Sophist
Re: Anime
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 09:47:19 PM »
Even though I don't post often, I actually do subscribe to this place through RSS, and it's always at the fringe of my awareness even when I have nothing to share.
Mostly Harmless

Onikazuya

• Fruit-tastic
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 02:09:26 PM »
Well, good to see some of the old dogs still visit...

I wanted to bring up another anime I finished up the first season to, Plastic memories. The story centers around a young trainee at a company who "retrieves" androids memories after their 9 year life span has ended. This aspect reminded me of the replicants in blade runner.

I love this anime already. It has laugh out loud moments, as well as moments that will rip your heart out. That last episode, damn, I was reaching for the Kleenex...

Highly recommended.
"The end of your life draws near, Ninja Dragon."

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 02:33:42 PM »
Me and my nerd camping buddies basically binge watched the entire first season of Attack On Titan in one weekend.  It was pretty interesting.  I really enjoyed the art style and the characters.  There's just something inherently creepy about giant people, some with muscular ligature exposed.

I haven't really touched on any other anime in some time.  But I do appreciate the heads up on the ones you listed.  They all sound like they have potential.  What is your main source for accessing anime?  Netflix?  Prime?

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 03:12:51 PM »
Also, welcome back Oni!  It's been a while but seeing new activity on here from time to time inspires me and makes me happy to keep this place up for everyone.  I'll admit, I've been slacking pretty bad around here, myself.  Front page is still like from 2012!

Haine

• Ripened Fruit
  • 70% Fiction
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 12:30:10 PM »
Other than Attack on Titan I've been out of touch with anime for a long time now. I guess work/life means that there's only so much space for so many interests in life. Plastic Memories sounds interesting I'll try it out.
You make your choices and you live with them and in the end you are those choices.

Enterprise © Bloc