Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 890 times)

Onikazuya

• Fruit-tastic
Movies
« on: July 07, 2015, 08:11:33 PM »
Hmmm, let's see, some movies that stick out in my mind...

I loved Interstellar. I actually bought the steelbook bluray for this, and I haven't bought a movie in years. The visuals and music in this movie are masterful. Sure it gets really "out there" in the last act, and there are a lot of questions in the end, but I loved the heck out of this movie.

Terminator Genisys was actually really good, I wasn't expecting much but it delivered. It had just the right amount of fan service and humour to keep me entertained. And actually the movie had a lot more heart than I expected. Some of the action scenes are kind of ho hum though.

I'd place T5 right after 2 and 1. Pretty damn good.

Jurassic world was kind of disappointing. The dinosaurs and effects were cool, and Chris Pratt and the park director girl did a decent job with what they had to work with. But the kid characters were useless!

The last dino fight scene was awesome....god damn Godzilla quality.

Speaking of that last american Godzilla...what a boring piece of shit. I hated it. It amazes me that people praise that movie. Honestly I don't think it's much better than the Broderick one from '98.

Fingers crossed that the new one Toho's working on is gonna be special.
"The end of your life draws near, Ninja Dragon."

Mark

• Legendary Fruitcake
  • Administrator
  • Fruit-tastic
    • CoopGamer.com
Re: Movies
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 02:49:40 PM »
I too thought Interstellar was pretty great, though I think if they trimmed it down to under 2 hours it would have been better (it's nearly 3 hours).  Lots of really good sci-fi concepts to ponder.  And the multi-purpose robot was pretty sweet.

I have to admit that most of the time when I rent movies I watch them at 1.5x to 2x speed because there is just so much filler crap and I'm short on time.  It can be pretty aggravating when other people are watching with me, so I usually tone it down when that is the case.  But like at work, I can knock out a 2 hour movie on a 1 hour lunch break running off my PC.

I watched Ant Man last weekend and it was pretty good if you are into the rather cookie cutter style of Marvel movies.  As always, high production values, good soundtrack, good actors, and numbingly vanilla story arc.  Still, this one had more comedy than usual and it did a good job of it.

We watch kids movies more than anything.  We watched the Minions movie at the drive in last week.  It was fun enough to sit through.  The kids loved it.  And we watched The Book of Life just a couple days ago and were pleasantly surprised by the excellent soundtrack and story, despite some overly preachy bits.

One last thing... I watched Tusk on DVD a few weeks ago.  I don't really know how to describe it... I mean, I could summarize the entire story in one line, but I don't feel like it would properly encapsulate what this movie is.  It's kind of depressing and ridiculous and horrible all in one and you are never really sure which it is more of.  But definitely all those things.  If you enjoyed the fucked-up-ness of The Human Centipede, it very much is in that same vein.  It's one of those movies that you regret watching, but at the same time you are kind of glad you watched it anyway.  Sort of. 

Haine

• Ripened Fruit
  • 70% Fiction
Re: Movies
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 12:45:25 PM »
Interstellar is great. Loved the robots. I particularly enjoyed the final sequence. When it all went "space odyssey" on me I lost some interest. We went to see it at the IMAX here in London. Of course we didn't realise it was 3 hours long and went to the late showing.... had to run for the last train home! It could have done with a little trim but actually other than the sequence in the black hole it had me for most of the film.

If you're after a movie you'll regret watching, try Visitor Q. It's very fucked up.
You make your choices and you live with them and in the end you are those choices.

Enterprise © Bloc